Colour Profiles

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I setup my display colour profile? It seems like an impossible circle.

I could scan a photo, and adjust the screen colour till it matches, but what if my scanner colour is not set correctly !!!

The reason I ask is because I have just edited the apple "graphite" wallpaper, and it looked grey in photoshop, but has a very definate blue tinge when its on the desktop.

Where do I start ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    WARNING... I am speaking in OS9-ese. You will have to translate to OSX-ese.

I used Apple's ColorSync control panel.

Part 1:

If your scanner is relatively new, you can download scanner profiles from it's website. (My Epson 2400 installed them from the CD) Once you download them, you can add the profile to the "INPUT" menu of ColorSync. Next, you calibrate your monitor using the monitors control panel and save the new calibration. Back into ColorSync, you can select the new monitor profile under "DISPLAY". Third step it so download a profile for your printer and add that to "OUTPUT". Well, if you want to print

Part 2:

In Photoshop and under the EDIT menu, choose color settings. Instead of using Adobe RGB, change it to ColorSync. If you want great prints, you will also have to disable color management in the PRINT menu. One last thing in Photoshop. You want to go to VIEW -> PROOF SETUP -> custom... and select "WORKING RGB-[your screen profile name]".

That should do it and works great for me.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Errm, dont think it can be translated. OSX colour sync has totally different options!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ahh. Bummer. \

Maybe if you post screenshots of colorsync I could help.

I dunno. Just an idea.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I think I have sorted it now, I set the monitor onto the iMac profile, and the blue tinge to everything vanished, but the screen was very bright and washed out. So I calibrated it, knocking the gamma down to the PC/Television setting - and dropped the brightness a touch.

Its very hard to distinguish the horisontal grey lines like the ones at the very bottom of the camino window, but I think thats just one of the downsides to having a LCD / TFT screen. Different viewing angles make a massive difference in the contrast, and there is no manual contrast setting.