Internet sharing w/ OS X ...sorta interesting

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok here is the setup - I have two machines - one hub - one cable modem.

Both machines are 10.2 and I have the cable modem plugged into the uplink of the hub - and both machines plugged into the hub - One of my machines(iMac) gets an ip from my ISP and then I turned on internet sharing and then my Powermac(2nd machine) gets an ip from the iMac - Everything works - There isnt anything I haven't been able to do yet however I am a little worried about security - am I broadcasting all my traffic onto my cable node? Could someone snag an IP off my box? I would be really interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Only the machine that gets the IP from the cable modem is "viewable" from the internet. In the last 3 years, I have never had a firewall, so I am prolly not the best to comment on security.

You can use the netstat command to view what ports your computer is listening on.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dobbydobby Posts: 796member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

am I broadcasting all my traffic onto my cable node?

Yes but only as all network traffic is broadcast, as in a unicast, multicast, broadcast are all broadcasts.

I assume you mean broadcast your traffic to your CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) but DOCSIS doesn't let you snoop for traffice quite that easily.

You do need security on a cable modem but as your not using a MS OS you don't really have to worry about the zillions of security issues.

OS X has all services turned of by default so your machine is not going to be hacked that easily.

You could always activate the built in firewall (for what its worth).

Dobby.