Just bought a Canon i950 printer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
All I can say is, "WOW". Best photo printer out there many people reckon. I have a feeling they are right.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...anon_i950.html

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...-20854718.html

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

- T.I.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Great Choice. It's what I'd buy and I've been an Epson fan for sometime.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    My father just picked one up to replace an Epson. He said it had separate ink carts for each color, which is definitely cool in my book. Ahhh, but I have an Iris Realist for my color prints hehe
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

He said it had separate ink carts for each color, which is definitely cool in my book.

Yup. There are 6 cartridges.

*Truly* amazing the way inkjet technology is moving forward *all* the time:

"The i950 print head is all new with 3,072 nozzles. With the highest number of nozzles in its class, the i950 provides very fast printing times. The two-picoliter size ink drop {Canon just halved that from the model the i950 replaces. -T.I.} along with the advanced MicroFine Droplet Technology and six-color inks deliver amazing quality and gradation with ink drops virtually undetectable to the naked eye. High printing speeds are also achieved on the i950 by having the highest ink droplet ejection frequency of all Canon Bubble Jet printers at approximately 74 million dots per second."

This printer is fast, and the prints are mind blowing, even on cheaper paper like Canon's HR-101.

- T.I.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    yarg, i shoulda waited like 3 months to get that printer, I have the i850, and i'm not complaining, but it colors are lame, and the i950 pretty much fixes that. enjoy, mines great, so yours must be better, i'm trying to be happy for you, i'm just envious
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

yenjoy, mines great, so yours must be better, i'm trying to be happy for you, i'm just envious

You wanna bet that in 6 month's time I will be in the same position as you are in now?

The advances in modern technology, who needs them?

- T.I.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    fawkesfawkes Posts: 80member
    Best printer I've ever owned!

I have never seen a printer by any maker that generates more realistic and natural colors. Blue skies, especially, are virtually without flaw--no clumsy gradations.

One of the reasons it prints so quickly despite its 2pL drops is that it can lay down larger dots in areas of flat color.

Congratulations on your purchase... I believe that this is the best buy in photo printers right now.

(works great printing over Airport Extreme too!)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have only a deskjet 5500, but the qualitie is suffisant for me.

Congratulations TI, make some nice prints of Zermatt and his lovely mountains.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fawkes

Congratulations on your purchase... I believe that this is the best buy in photo printers right now.

That seems to be the general consensus of opinion.

Powerdoc, I have done lots of "test prints" already

- T.I.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Installer

Powerdoc, I have done lots of "test prints" already

- T.I.

The contrary, would have been a surprise
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

it is very good to hear that this printer works fine with the airport extreme station!

This will be the replacement for my HP Laserjet 5.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Mmmm, nice, I want one!

Does Canon do great printers/scanners/cameras or what

One of my favorite brands.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    How is the black printing for letters, etc.?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

How is the black printing for letters, etc.?

Black enough for my requirements. You have the choice of various settings, and if you go on to "Manual / Fine" it's pretty black. This, however, is a photo printer, and that's where it's strength lies.

BTW I had to return the first printer after 5 days in exchange for a new one, due to a faulty print head: the test pattern showed three interrupted (by 2 mm) black lines. Canon were very good about it, as of course they should have been. No problem with this machine (so far).

- T.I.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    So the 9100 should be the same as the 950 but be able to print on bigger paper correct? If it true I might go for that one just need to find out how much it costs to print at home (intial printer cost plus ink plus paper) compared to printing a large print at kinkos or something....
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Producer

So the 9100 should be the same as the 950 but...

From Canon's site:

Professional photo quality for wide-format printing

The Bubble Jet i9100 brings 4800 x 1200 dpi photo printing technology to the A3+ market for the first time and sets a new standard in fast, high-resolution printing

The i9100 combines great colour reproduction quality with accuracy and speed, utilising Canon?s now standard advanced MicroFine Droplet Technology? to give accurate dot placement, dot shape and dot density. The six-colour ink system uses the world?s lightest density inks, and when combined with 4800 x 1200* dpi dot resolution and a tiny 4pl drop size, the i9100 gives grain-free photographs with up to 49 colour shades per pixel for enhanced image depth.

The i9100 uses a high density, high-resolution 1200 dpi print head with 3072 nozzles ? 10 times as many ink nozzles as its closest competitor. The i9100 is capable of printing a full A4 colour photo in about one minute, twice as fast as its closest competitor, and a full A3 photo on Canon?s Photo Paper Pro in less than two minutes.

The optional iProof PowerRIP 2000? PostScript Raster Image Processor to the i9100 package provides a highly competitive, professional contract quality proofing solution. This allows graphic artists to achieve perfectly accurate colour proofs.

The i9100 replaces the s9000.

- T.I.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    well with that said... I read on another forum that the 9100 is still based more on the 900 than the 950... anyone have any more info and conclusions on this? Also if you were going to print the largest size on the 9100... how much would each print cost? and how many could you make before having to buy more ink..

Also what do you guys recomend as a scanner? I assume you guys think the cannons are better here too? Or is it just that you think epson has terrible drivers?