Apple's mixed-reality headset rumored to arrive in late 2023

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2022
Apple's in-development mixed-reality headset could see its launch pushed back from early 2023 to later in the year, indicates analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with software issues causing an extended delay.

A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]
A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]

Apple's long-rumored and highly anticipated first headset release was thought to be on the horizon, with mass production of the augmented reality and virtual reality headwear slated to begin in early 2023. However, while hardware's getting prepared for manufacturing, another element may slow down its actual release.

(6/8)
My latest survey indicates that the mass shipment schedule of Apple's MR headset may delay to 2H23 because of software-related issues (vs. the previous estimate of 2Q23).

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

According to TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the Apple AR and VR headset may delay to the second half of 2023 because of "software-related issues." Kuo doesn't say what these issues could be, but it may relate to its operating system, known as realityOS or xrOS.

The delay seems to only impact the mass shipment of finished products, rather than manufacturing itself. Kuo reckons the shipment schedule for components will still be in the first half of 2023, possibly the second quarter.

However, the delay in shipments could be a pain for suppliers, with the headset thought to be the "next critical growth driver for the optical industry." Suppliers including Largan, Genius, Cowell, Primax, and others thought to be in the headset supply chain may be hurt by the "near-term market sentiment" over the delay.

Despite the late shipment, Kuo doesn't know if there will be a delayed media event to match the delayed headset shipments, which would put such an event later than the previously-estimated January. Kuo warns that if the timeframe between the event and shipments of products is too long, "it's detrimental to promotion and sales."

As to how many headsets Apple could produce, Kuo offers that the forecast will "likely be less than 500k units" for 2023, down from the market consensus of 800,000 to 1.2 million units.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    I'm sure the experience will be awesome, but no way I'm putting that thing on my face! And I'll be laughing my ass off anytime I see someone wearing it.
    Nobody cares. 
    blastdoordrdavidnapoleon_phoneapartstarof80byronl
  • Reply 2 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I refuse to buy this thing until apple actually sells it. If enough people agree with me, maybe apple will be incentivized to release it.  ;)
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is going to be the next big thing that isn’t going to be the next big thing. VR headsets have never caught on and AR headsets won’t either. Hey tech giants, learn the lesson taught by Google Glass. These headsets are already being mocked on TV ads depicting various morons hopping up and down and knocking over furniture.
    darkvader
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lkrupp said:
    This is going to be the next big thing that isn’t going to be the next big thing. VR headsets have never caught on and AR headsets won’t either. Hey tech giants, learn the lesson taught by Google Glass. These headsets are already being mocked on TV ads depicting various morons hopping up and down and knocking over furniture.
    It will at least eventually. The potential of XR despite current limits of technology is undeniable. Every release will have fewer flaws until it is mainstream. I suspect even Apple's first headset will be pretty close to getting there though. It will certainly be the best-in-class device for enthusiasts and professionals.

Google Glass isn't even the same type of device. That is more of an Apple Watch you wear on your head without any support for immersive graphics or reality augmentation.
    edited December 2022 watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 13
    blastdoor said:
    I refuse to buy this thing until apple actually sells it. If enough people agree with me, maybe apple will be incentivized to release it.  ;)
    Please, buy it before Apple sells it
    darkvader
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I’m interested in this as a Mac replacement. If I could do work on it (wear and use peripherals I.e keyboard mouse trackpad and gestures), that combined with the more niche “fun” aspect of it would go a lot further. I wouldn’t get it only for recreation. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 7 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    blastdoor said:
    Please, buy it before Apple sells it
    I would buy this before Apple sells it if Apple could tell me what I would be buying it to do. Then I'd know what I was buying before Apple would sell it to me, and be able to at least try it before I knew what I wanted it for. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Unless some unknown alien tech fell into Apple's lap, I think it's way too soon for AR and VR as a product. Absolutely zero examples I've experienced or seen have made me want to use it for more than a few minutes. It's still a novelty, at best.
    JP234watto_cobrastarof80darkvader
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    And for the estimated rumored price of $3,000, the world will say, NOPE.  This is vaporware that no one wants.

A few years ago, Six Flags Magic Mountain had VR goggles for The Revolution rollercoaster.  You had the option of wearing them for an enhanced virtual ride experience.  Didn't last long.  Why?  No one wanted to wear them.  They got rid of them.  VR was featured in 1994's Disclosure with Michael Douglas.  At the time, it was a cool scene.  28 years later, it still never caught on and has been pretty much non-existent.  This is like AirPower part 2.  Or like the rumor of the Apple-branded TV that never happened.

Apple should just give up on this idea that people would want to walk around with big goggles on their head.
    darkvader
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I am sick and tired of every leaker saying this is coming soon. Been saying that for the past two years now. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    lkrupp said:
    Don’t bet against it. 

This technology has been around for a long time in one form or another. Each new generation nudges the idea forward a little more and reduces the inconveniences.

Do you remember the days when people pointed their phones at the night sky to see an overlay of the names of planetary objects? 

Imagine seeing a 70 inch equivalent virtual screen on a visor with all your mobile apps displaying content whenever you want. Using it as a viewfinder for your camera. Having directions projected onto it to get you to your destination. That could be in a hospital, airport, train station etc. 

Imagine seeing which screws need taking out/putting back and in which order while repairing something. Imagine being guided as you work, through as many processes as you can think up. 

Imagine all the donkey work being done in the cloud/edge and then being pumped over 5G into your visor. 

Imagine images being sent out for AI recognition. 

The use cases are immense. 

We aren't there yet. Not by a long shot but we aren't talking about something that is so far over the horizon that you'll never see it in your lifetime. 

It's very likely you will end up with such a device even before the technology becomes ubiquitous in the developed world. It could be due to quality of life issues or something similar. 

OpenXR is seeing more members, several new related technologies are being looked at (battery, charging, processing...). Designs will follow the same path as mobile phones (bulky at first but getting smaller). 

It won't all be easy, though. We've already seen the ethical and privacy related issues that such devices can bring to the fore. An always on camera, recording your life to the cloud etc. Those will get dealt with. 

But the technology is too far along to say it won't succeed. 

Remember when people couldn't see a use for the internet? That all changed when 'data' started hitting it. Look where we are now in such a short time. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Apple can't even build a VR headset and release it on time.

How does anybody think they can actually build a car?
    rmusikantow