What CRT screen do you recommend?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking to buy a CRT screen for my iBook. Here are a couple of things I want:

- 17" or 19" monitor; desk space is not a big concern for me, so I really don't care for a LCD.

- Looking at this monitor for a long period of time won't hurt my eyes.

I will be using this monitor mainly for browsing, writing papers and watching dvds. I am willing to spend about $300 max. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    I've got a LaCie 19 inch hooded crt and I think it's good. Not exactly a scientific response but a response non-the-less.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    Please enlighten me: how will a CRT not hurt your eyes???

Did you know that CRT's constantly flash their light at you at a very high speed, while flatscreens have a single consistent beam of light? That makes a huge difference, because flashing is not the natural way for the human eye, or any eye, to receive light. Not only that, but contrast and brightness can be up to twice as much on the LCD, again, closer to the natural way the eye should see, because it takes less effort for it to make out the differences between colors, and less adjutments of the pupils (the dark circular opening at the center of the iris in the eye, where light enters the eye).

I'm sorry, I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but I'd be dishonest to recommend a CRT over an LCD. I've used both, a lot, and there is no comparison. If I were you I'd shell out another couple 100 bucks and buy myself a nice 17" ViewSonic flatscreen. I mean, you can't really put a price tag on your vision. 8)

If you insist on buying a CRT for whatever reason, I'd go with ViewSonic, or I'd try to buy a refurbished or used Apple CRT.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    "Purchasing advice... purchasing advice, come here boy! Come here boy!! Good boy..." - General Discussion
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Yes, I am well aware of the fact CRTs flash light accross the screen. I just thought that since CRTs can refresh at very fast rates, like 85Hz, that it wouldn't put too much strain on my eyes. I mean, I can watch a television screen for hours and hours...

But then again, you do have a very good point, I might just get a LCD screen because it probably is better for my eyes. In that case, do you have any recommendations for LCD or CRT monitors? I prefer specific model numbers, but I guess name brands will be okay too.

(to admin: sorry about putting this in the wrong forum, I'll try to not make this mistake again)
  • Reply 5 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    No sweat. It's not like I do any real work all day, it gives me something to do.

• Reply 6 of 16
    I have an NEC MultiSync FP 950.

I'm sure there's an updated model by now with a similar name and number.

I LOVE IT. Lots of people that stop by here comment on its picture quality. It is superb.

• Reply 7 of 16
    For the record, the word "Nice" can never be used in a positive sense when speaking about the company "ViewSonic" and its products.

Some people can deal with CRTs. Me, I can't. Ever since I switched to an LCD a few years back I stopped getting bad headaches from using the computer.

LCD if you can afford it, all the way...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    scarecrowscarecrow Posts: 148member
    Well, I just got two Formac 17.4 flatscreen LCDs... for myself.. They are sweet!

I got tired of dual CRTs... (I had dual 19" Mitsubishi Diamonds)

Mitsubisihi makes great monitors...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Well, I just got two Formac 17.4 flatscreen LCDs... for myself.. They are sweet!

I got tired of dual CRTs... (I had dual 19" Mitsubishi Diamonds)

Mitsubisihi makes great monitors...

OH COOL! you got them at the 499 price right? I would get those, but that's really stretching my budget...

If you can, tell me how they look playing the new Matrix trailer. There is a part in the trailer that has a bunch of flashes of black to white and my friend, who has a new Dell 1800FP LCD screen, said it kinda flickered. I was wondering if it flickers or acts weird on the formac ones screens too.

Quote:

No sweat. It's not like I do any real work all day, it gives me something to do.

Hahaha!

That NEC does look nice, what's the refresh rate on that one?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I sell monitors. I find that NEC monitors are the most consistent quality wise. Their Multisync CRTs are very good, just make sure to get the flat screen ones.

As for LCDs I also find NEC makes the best and they arent very expensive. You can find a 17 inch 1700V for about $499. It comes in white or black also. 3 yr warranty-thats the ticket...........................
  • Reply 11 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

As for LCDs I also find NEC makes the best and they arent very expensive. You can find a 17 inch 1700V for about $499. It comes in white or black also. 3 yr warranty-thats the ticket...........................

I agree. My 15" NEC LCD's been great for the past year and few months that I've had it.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    the Lacie 19 or 21 inch

super easy on the eyes

I stare at it all day with out eye strain

plus it is about the most color accurate monitor you can buy
  • Reply 13 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Ilyama 19 inch Diamondtron flat screen are good. They are perfect at 1280 per 1024, a resolution that fit perfectly with a 19 inch CRT (1600 per 1200 is too small for a 19 inch CRT for my humble advice or at least for my eyes).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Do you know if having a higher resolution would slow my iBook's performance significantly?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    LaCie, LaCie, LaCie. Fabulous. We have nine 19" monitors and one 22" at our school. Gorgeous, dependable, beautiful. Never had a problem with any of them. I own one myself.

--------------------------------------------

Eyes open in Nashville
  • Reply 16 of 16
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    I'd go with the LaCie too. I've got a 22" Electron II, and it was the best monitor in the market at the time, one of my colleagues has a 19" and he prefers it over either the last series of Apple 21" or 17" CRTs.

In reality these are re-badged Mitsubishi, but with blue cases and a couple of small add-ons. In the UK you get a 3 year warrantee with them.

So take your choice, top-end Mitsubishis or LaCie. The current Electron range is IV (four). I'd certainly buy one again and I recommend them to our clients too.