10.2.5 problem with iBook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have the 700Mhz 12" iBook and have just downloaded 10.2.5. It seems to make a random, annoying clicking sound - for no particular reason. I've muted the sound but it still happens. Has anyone else had this problem and any fix suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpw_amherst

I have the 700Mhz 12" iBook and have just downloaded 10.2.5. It seems to make a random, annoying clicking sound - for no particular reason. I've muted the sound but it still happens. Has anyone else had this problem and any fix suggestions?

If your speakers are mute then its probably the hard drive making the ticking sound. Try booting into OS 9 and see if the sound remains to see if its a hardware or software problem. If there is not ticking, try the standard stuff: restart command-s fsck-y reboot. Fix the file permissions using the disk utility app.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    johnpgjohnpg Posts: 37member
    No, I have this too. It's not the hard drive but is indeed coming from the speakers. I've read of others having this as well. I found that loading the sound preference panel will stop it, at least for awhile.

I had tons of problems with the 10.2.5 upgrade. I had the kernel panic at boot problem and was forced to re-install 10.2 from the original CD's. When I did though my screen was stuck at 640x480 and it took applying the 10.2.4 combo updater to fix that. Then I decided to tempt fate and installed the 10.2.5 combo updater. That worked, but now I'm noticing the clicking sound. Apple really messed up with this update. I've never seen so many serious issues from people, and this is the first time I've ever personally had any issues with an update.

John
  • Reply 3 of 17
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Looks like my iBook won't be needing this update anytime soon...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Looks like my iBook won't be needing this update anytime soon...

This doesn't happen to everyone, obviously. You just read about complaints because if it works no one says a thing. 10.2.5 w/no problems on my iBook 700 opaque 16.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Maybe.

But my iBook had many bugs after installing 10.2.4. I have to reinstall jaguar to get these bugs removed. I am not taking chances with 10.2.5.

If things are working fine, dun change.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Hmm... Then why not use 10.1.5? :P
  • Reply 7 of 17
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fryke

Das chasch der doch sälber vorstelle! Because it doesn't "work fine." 10.1 is slow as molasses.

Personally, I've had no issues with 10.2.5 on my iBook/500/320. However, my battery life has remained dysmal. 10.2.4 screwed up my battery and 10.2.5 didn't change anything about that.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 17
    The clicking sound might be the CD/DVD drive, it can happen when you have an unbalanced disk or it is trying to eject a disk (especially if something is up against the CD tray)
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    My iBook clicks too. It has done so for quite some time, well before the latest update. I'm also fairly certain it's my hardrive. That's the area the noise is coming from.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by fryke

Cos I spent US$69 on Jaguar....

but seriously, 10.2.3 works best!!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm using an iBook 700 with combo drive and I have not had this problem with the 10.2.5 update. It's running quite smoothly for me. I do seem to have gotten battery issues with 10.2.4 and 10.2.5 has not cleared those up so I think I'll give Apple a call.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

My iBook clicks too. It has done so for quite some time, well before the latest update. I'm also fairly certain it's my hardrive. That's the area the noise is coming from.

Well, if it didn't click before a software update, it's not a hardware problem. Hard drive clicks may be caused by a buggy driver and may even prevent the drive from spinning down.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    What do you guys mean with battery issues?

I didn't install 10.2.4 but i did install 10.2.5 and i believe i do not have a battery issue, so please explain me some more.

Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 17
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    drazztikka,

My battery life has dramatically dropped in a very short period of time since using 10.2.4. When using the iBook on battery power the battery indicator shows teh percentage of charge left and at about 75 - 85% it drops into sleep mode as it would if your battery is very low. When I plug it back into AC the battery charge indicator is at 0% and charging as if it were completely dead. I was hoping it was just a software thing and that it would be cleared up in 10.2.5 but it seems that it is either still a problem or my battery is now shot. My machine is still less than a year old so I figure it can't hurt to give Apple a call. I think I'll be picking up the extra applecare on it as well.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    If you're having battery problems, absolutely call Apple or bring your laptop to an Apple Store. It's covered 100% by AppleCare. They'll give you a new one.

I've had no problems installing 10.2.4 and 10.2.5 on an iBook 500 / 384 MB.

My battery life seems a bit down lately, but nothing catastrophic.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Well, if it didn't click before a software update, it's not a hardware problem. Hard drive clicks may be caused by a buggy driver and may even prevent the drive from spinning down.

This definitely isn't a hardware problem. It only started after I downloaded the 10.2.5 update. There is no CD in the drive, and the sound continues even when the tray comes out. Its not the hard drive either, I know what that sounds like when it clicks and its not like this. It sounds like the noise a Palm makes when you use the Stylus against the screen. I'm sure it comes from the sound card.

I'd also like to add that whenever I've seen other problems being discussed with a software update I always assumed that it was becuase the person in question was using loads of themes and had made loads of changes to their system, through the Terminal or whatever. I've done none of that. My system, is 'as new' in terms of settings and the like. I'm amazed that Apple lets stuff like this out and would like to know how long people think I'll have to wait until there's a further update.

Mike
  • Reply 17 of 17
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    If your battery is acting weird, try recalibrating it.

Make sure your iBook is plugged into the wall and your battery is fully charged. Now, unplug your iBook from the wall and let it run until the battery is completely drained and your machine puts itself to sleep. Quickly plug your iBook back into the wall before it exits sleep mode and shuts down. Let it fully charge.

Your battery should now be recalibrated. If you were having issues before, it was because your battery wasn't being fully charged even though your computer thought it was. Now, when your battery reads 100%, it will actually be at 100% and not something like 60%.