verifying original iPhone video

Posted:
in iPhone

Hi everyone,

Someone I met online (dating app) has sent me what they claim is a video taken with their iPhone ( not sure which model ) and sent directly to my iPhone Xs. The communication thus

far has been somewhat sketchy so I'm investigating all avenues in order to clear some things up.

I may be wrong, but I believe that an iPhone's default video format is .MOV. And, if you made a quick video and then sent it to a friend directly, the file would have a name such as IMG_2827.MOV . Does that sound correct? The file name of the 'iPhone' video that this person sent me was recorded-1977974201697.MOV . Does anyone recognize if this could have been a video other than something that was recorded on an iPhone and then sent directly to me?

Also, I've had iPhone videos sent to me before that contained GPS coordinates in the 'info' box.

But in doing some short research, found that the 'Location Services' can be turned off for the camera and other individual apps.

Can someone take a look at the info boxes in the right hand column of the attached image and determine if you see any tells that this was not an iPhone to iPhone video send?

Thanks.

Dennis

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    How was it sent? iMessage? Some other service? 

When you share from iOS, you can decide to share without any metadata, so no lens info, no location data, etc. are embedded in the file. 

I'm not sure which app names its data "recorded-XXXXXXXXXX.MOV" though. 

edited February 2023 stanislavski
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hi @Spheric ,

Thanks for the info. I am wary that this might be a multi-person wire fraud operation. One in which a girl is used as 'bait' on a dating site and the actual person you are talking to does all the texting back and forth. I asked this person ( thinking it was the girl ) to send me a video from her iPhone directly to my Messages app. I'm thinking that the 'operator' contacts the girl and asks them to record the requested video then transfer it via the operator to me. That way it looks as though I'm actually talking to the girl on the dating app. You'd be surprised at how sophisticated these things can be if they think they are going to fleece you.
    I didn't want to call anyone out until I got some technical data tho.

Regards,

Dennis