Political Success For Bush With War in Iraq

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is your view of the political success or failure for President Bush in light of the progress of the War in Iraq? Do you think others who support the war will also benefit or lose with support at home? Will Bush lose this support over time?

Your thoughts?

Link with poll numbers

I think Bush has shown tremendous leadership with geo-politics as well as Tony Blair. I suspect Bush will win the next election with a wide margin. Yes I know it is early but note my prediction.

Fellowship

I think the visit to award the Purple Heart is very touching. What a price our men and women as well as coalition forces have and are paying for this change in Iraq!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's the economy stupid!
    Quote:

Forty-seven percent of those polled do not approve of the way Bush is handling the economy; 44 percent do (10 percent aren?t sure).

More disapprove of Bush's handling of the economy than approve. Anyone remember Bush's dad? And actually this Bush's post-war approval rating (70%) is still not as high as his dad's after the 1991 war ended (in the 90s).

Some other things that struck me about that poll:

Quote:

Fifty-three percent say they would support using military force against North Korea (35 percent would not). Forty-five percent say they would support the use of force against Iran, while 41 percent would not. And 42 percent would also support using force against Syria, which has been mentioned as another potential target, while 40 percent would not.

A plurality want to attack Iran and Syria. :eek:
  • Reply 2 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I've said it before. It's all going to boil down to whether Kerry asks this question:

"Are you better off today than you were four years ago?"

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Agreed. Remember that Americans support their leaders in wars, which is one of the reason their poll numbers go so high at that time--but support for a leader is NOT the same as keeping him when it comes time to choose again.

I think he really needs to get the domestic agenda back online or he's going to get his ass handed to him.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Agreed. Remember that Americans support their leaders in wars, which is one of the reason their poll numbers go so high at that time--but support for a leader is NOT the same as keeping him when it comes time to choose again.

I think he really needs to get the domestic agenda back online or he's going to get his ass handed to him.

While I agree with you, I would point out that the public no longer feels obligated to "support" (I'm not sure what that word means anymore) the president in times of "war" (I'm not sure what that word means anymore, either).

I listened in shock and awe as Limbaugh described *all* of Clinton's military engagements as some kind of distraction from a seeming national obsession with his penis. I generally regarded most of the 90s--and especially the right-wing coverage of the Clinton admin (heh. Brit Hume, for EIGHT YEARS, referred to him as "the current president") as bizarrely voyeuristic.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 5 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    I'm kind of surprised if you say that most americans are supportive of the way the war has gone [i'm a little too out of mind to read that article myself, but i'll continue assuming that +50% (or plurality) like the president's war abilities]. most of the people i know (and maybe i just stick around like-minded people) were against the war before, are against the wra during, and disapprove of the president and government's handling of the war and the whole international situatoin.

personally, the [curse word] government has pissed me off since the us "'patriot'" act [almost to the point that i wanted to leave the united "states" of america; the revolution will not be televised]. friends and i feel that they went too quick into this war, and didn't get enough int'l support. in the next election i really thought bush would loose for sure. i intend to register and vote just to be against him, even though i liked him over gore [though votelessly]. i mean, i like how the troops are very successful with going through the resistence. i am very happy that we seem to be advancing on all fronts. but i don't think we entered it correctly.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    If the US economy continues to fall, Bush will fall with it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    " most of the people i know (and maybe i just stick around like-minded people) were against the war before, are against the wra during, and disapprove of the president and government's handling of the war and the whole international situatoin."

Yes, I suspect you are probably with like-minded people.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It's the economy stupid!

Yup.

The case of Bush41 provides a very poignant example of how little foreign policy matters to the electorate.