WOOT! The 15.4" is finally here! No 970 tho :(

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
  • Reply 2 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Not only did they lose resolution, but the bezel is HUGE and SQUARE, as if they dropped the wide screen into a 4:3 bezel, blech, I expect better from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    hey matsu, wake up, it's just a bad dream... don't pee your bed,

it's not a mac. i repeat: although the name maybe used by apple ones, this is not an apple.

it's dell's best answer to apple's powerbook line.

it's their weapon of mass distruction. it's their moab, it's their mobile abc weapon platform, it's their...it's... it's but ugly

thank god it's ugly

and old news
  • Reply 4 of 18
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Betcha like the price though, eh?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Dell is evil. And I've had a few Dells to back that up.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    haha, got a bunch of views too. Looks like 16:10 is becoming the new standard aspect for computer displays. That's good.

However, with 1280x800 being the only 15.4" screen in use, I'm not sure how I feel about losing those 54 pixels. The vertical pixels are important and I'd rather have seen a 1366x854 screen than a lose of pixel count.

Still, if that lets Apple make the PB15 cheaper, then I'm all for it.

For a second I though Dell had finally rid itself of the habit of supplying idiotically high resolutions on their notebook products, but it appears not, they have 1680x1050 AND 1920x1200 screens on offer. Total squinty eyed waste of money, but at least we know there are plenty of resolutions available at that size, which indicates it's to be considered somewhat standard and thus should be cheaper to source.

Funny, the low res is fine (if a tad low) and the higher resolutions are just plain stoooopid. That screen should ideally be about 1360 wide. I hope Apple can get a screen in that range, which would strike the perfect balance between dpi and legibility. Ah well, 1280 is far better than 1680 for a screen of that size.

One thing that strikes me is that Apple may just be able to make the 15.4 slightly smaller than the 15.2. It's going to be shallower in footprint, and only negligibly wider. Could be very nice ad small/light for a 15" class screen.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

For a second I though Dell had finally rid itself of the habit of supplying idiotically high resolutions on their notebook products, but it appears not, they have 1680x1050 AND 1920x1200 screens on offer. Total squinty eyed waste of money, but at least we know there are plenty of resolutions available at that size, which indicates it's to be considered somewhat standard and thus should be cheaper to source.

And the LCDs aren't of very high quality. We had a lot of problems with one of the Inspirons... baaaaad quality.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

do you mean that $2100.00 is something i would ever shell out for a computer that runs windows???

...way

but indeed, if the 15" Al will have that price tag it's a steal...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    That's 2100 CANADIAN, about 1400 USD and certainly worth considering over an iMac or iBook if you want a desktop replacement.

A former Boss of mine has one of those 1600x1200 15" screens and the quality is VERY GOOD but the res is just TOO DAMN HIGH for me too care. Still the brightness contrast and viewing angle are all good.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

That's 2100 CANADIAN, about 1400 USD and certainly worth considering over an iMac or iBook if you want a desktop replacement.

ah, your right it's 1499.00 euro, indeed very cheap but certainly not a considering over a imac or ibook. if it's that cheap it can't be much good... and that's right. it runs windows, that means i have to shell out at least the same amount of money for new software, if i buy a designcollection from adobe, otherwise it's more, so... for that prize i can have lapzilla instead
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

$2,200 for the base model, hardly seems cheap to me!?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

$2,200 for the base model, hardly seems cheap to me!?

Seriously man, you've got to actually READ the thread.

That's Canadian dollars
  • Reply 13 of 18
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    What an anti-Climax....
  • Reply 14 of 18
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    this is soooo bad

apple is forced and MUST show us the new 15" albook now and today...or.....or........wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr rhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    And this is in Future Hardware!? And, to add insult to injury, its a DULL in FH!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

A former Boss of mine has one of those 1600x1200 15" screens and the quality is VERY GOOD but the res is just TOO DAMN HIGH for me too care. Still the brightness contrast and viewing angle are all good.

Just wait a few months. You could care less for the screen. The battery will die in less than a year. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm SICK of Dell's cheap parts.

With my previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron 8000 I had my keyboard replaced 3 times, a motherboard change, a hard drive change, and one of the fans wouldn't work due to a BIOS problem (that was later fixed anyway). My bro had an identical machine, just a few MHz faster, and had similar problems. Keyboard, and bad screen. My screen wasn't real good either.

Adding insult to injury, the batteries were a joke. And several friends who bought Dell laptops had their batteries die too soon, and keyboard problems too (the damn trackpoint just ceases to work after a few months on many models).

It it weren't for on-site warranty service, Dell would be dead on the consumer market.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Something alng the lines of 33 by 21 is the "ideal" rectangle. I guess that boils down to 11 by 7. The powerbook's 3 by 2 is very close to this. I think 3 by 2 is the best aspect ratio.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Whatever.