How do I replace the internal HD? (B&W G3)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been having trouble with my G3's internal hard disk. I ordered a new IDE drive and I want to make the new one the master drive with all my system files but I also want to keep the original disk as a second disk. How exactly do I do that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Newer hard drives include jumper settings on a sticker on the actual drive itself, but some do not. If you drives do not, you will want to go to the web site of the drive manufacturer and look up "Jumper Settings" in their support area for your particular hard drive model.

Upon doing this, you want to set the new hard drive to "Master" and the old hard drive to "Slave". The instructions with your G3 should go over how to physically install a second hard drive into your system. If you have lost those, you may try Apple's Knowledge Base, as they may have instructions.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    After installing the new drive as master, will the computer still start up from the original disk?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    It should, yes.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    yes it does. you can change your startupdisk in errrr... "startupdisk"

-screw hd to mac

-connect power and ide cable

-start mac

-initialize hd

-have fun
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    You may already know, but it's probably worth mentioning that the revision 1 B&W G3s had a faulty IDE controller that can lead to data corruption if the original HD is replaced or a second slave HD is added.

You can identify the faulty IDE controller from the number on the chip, as explained here.

If you're affected, the solution is to add additional drives using a PCI IDE card.