Streaming iTunes Library!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a Powerbook with all of my music on it. I would love to just connect my ibook full time to my soundsystem and use it to play MP3's. Is there a way for me to stream the music from my Powerbook to my iBook. I would love to have it bring up the whole music Library of my Powerbook. I wanted to use iCommune but I couldn't figure it out because I have a airport network with DHCP so there is something I am supposed to do with the port numbers that I just can't figure out. Anyways anybody know of some good software to help me out.

Thanks

Teddy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Apple demo`d a version of itunes that did this like a year ago now.

I have no idea where said version of itunes is now.

I`ll download icommune and take a look at it and see if I can help you get that working for now though.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    Thanks alot that would be greatly appreciated!

Teddy
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Mr. Anderson says wait until thursday. (why thursday? iDunno, however Mr. Anderson has yet to lie to me)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hmm.... who is Mr. Anderson...???
  • Reply 5 of 10
    purepure Posts: 26member
    crap, i can't remember the exact title of the app, but i know it can stream music from one comp to any on a network. I don't believe you have a selectable playlist on the receiving end though.

edit: it's not the app i was looking for, but checkout netTunes
  • Reply 6 of 10
    are you thinking of iCommune....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    You could just do this by mounting the PowerBook as a network drive (using "Go | Connect to Server...") and then adding the songs from the PowerBook to the iTunes music library on your iBook. I have the vast majority of my music on the PowerMac in the office, but can stream all the files via Airport to my PowerBook.

Just make sure you un-check "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in your iTunes preferences before you do this. Otherwise you're in for a painful demonstration of how slow it is to copy large files over an Airport connection...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Teddy

hmm.... who is Mr. Anderson...???

He is part of the system. The system which pulls the wool over our eyes, it is all around us, it is here even in this room...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    in this very room?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

in this very room?

Yes.

It is everywhere, it's all around us, here even in this room. You can see it out your window, or on your television. You feel it when you go to work, or go to church or pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.