Dual 1Ghz startup problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi-

My Dual 1Ghz machine is refusing to startup. I get the startup chime and then nothing. No HD activity. The monitor doesn't light up. I can't zap the PRAM and I can't get to the OF screen.

I've reseated and switched out the RAM (replaced with known good RAM). I've switched out the "aftermarket" Ti 4600 with the original video card. I've reset the CUDA switch. I replaced the motherboard battery. I as yet haven't replaced the hard drives because, frankly, I'm sick of fscking with this thing. I also haven't tried mounting it via FireWire because my Ti is at the Apple Store being fixed.

Anybody have an idea, or should I just bite the bullet and take this doorstop to the Apple Store too?

Thanks,

Bri

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    A start-up chime indicates that your Mac has passed initial hardware tests, which means it thinks it can boot. So Command-Option-P-R doesn't work even if you hold them long enough? Try playing with reset/power buttons. I don't think it will help, though. I would suspect the graphics card, but not for 100%.

Firewire target mode can actually tell if your motherboard, firewire controller or hard drive are damaged.