Software update won't launch

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I had problems like this in os9 but this is the first time I've experienced something like this in osx. I click the icon it begins to launch and then shuts down. In the past this would be the result of extension conflicts . . . any thoughts for osx ????

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    only software update?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    All my other apps launch . . . IE, Safari, MS word, Appleworks, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    do this:

Deleting your Cache:

Deleting your cache may be necessary if you experience any of the following: [list=a][*]you have more than one of the same preference panel in your System Preferences[*]CD's, DVD's and HD's don't mount properly or don't even show up[*]Applications behave strange[*]etc.[/list=a] Delete everything in ~/Library/Caches/, where '~' is your home folder.

Deleting your cache isn't dangerous; it only deletes the cache, ie. things who are stored there so that an application has faster access to it, or because it needs to store some things.

Running FSCK:

"fsck" checks (fixes) the file system (file system check)

you have to be in single user mode in order for this to work...

now this can get a little tricky...

restart your computer and hold down apple-s this will bring up a bunch of text... wait for this to load

then type:

Code:

/sbin/fsck -y

(it will be a few lines up so you don't have to memorize it) and just like disk utility it will run through and check the filesystem, only instead of repairing permissions it checks the actual file system.

after you run it, if it says "The system was modified" run the command again.

if it says "The system appears to be OK" then type
    Code:

reboot

and your mac should start up normally <kickaha, what is the command to reboot with the changes? reboot -r?>

<courtesy of kickaha:>

Disk Utility's 'Repair Volume' also checks the file system. The only reason you'd have to resort to single-user boot mode is to perform fsck on the boot drive, assuming you don't have another boot volume or CD to do so.

</kichaha>

This should be done after every OS update and major software installation and if you are having any trouble with your computer this should be the second step to try after repairing permissions with disk utility...