Google unveils $1799 Pixel Fold, the latest Android folding smartphone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
Google's new Pixel Fold smartphone merges the utility of its Pixel line with a folding design that expands into a sleek tablet -- for $1799.

Pixel Fold
Pixel Fold

When Pixel Fold is closed, it has a conventional smartphone shape that comfortably fits in a hand and slides into pocketd. However, upon opening, it unveils a 7.6-inch screen that has a slimmer profile than any other foldable phone currently available in the market.

In designing this foldable device, Google says that it ensured form and function were not compromised. The majority of the Pixel components, including the camera, battery, speakers, and haptic technology, were "ingeniously redesigned" to fit within the slender profile.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"Google Pixel Fold: The Only Foldable Engineered by Google","description":"Introducing Google #PixelFold-- power and innovation, folded into one. ","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9wobcM-WPQk/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2023-05-10T19:06:17Z","duration":"PT2M9S","embedUrl":""}

Furthermore, the custom-built hinge contributes to the phone's thinness while simultaneously doubling as the most durable hinge available. Finally, Pixel Fold has an IPX8 rating for water resistance.

The external screen on Pixel Fold allows users to perform all of the typical tasks from a Pixel phone, such as responding to messages, browsing the internet via Chrome, and utilizing Google's Call Assist features, which include Direct My Call, Call Screen, Hold for Me, and Clear Calling.

Once fully unfolded, the interior screen on Pixel Fold provides all of the advantages of a tablet. Many apps are optimized to utilize the larger screen fully, allowing for an immersive experience when watching shows, reading books, or playing games.

Additionally, the expanded screen provides extra space to get more tasks done. The Taskbar can seamlessly switch between apps or handle dragging compatible apps into splitscreen mode to multitask.

While in splitscreen, users can move files between different applications, such as transferring photos from Google Photos to Messages and Slides. The Taskbar is dynamic and disappears when users are done with it.

Pixel Fold offers a range of camera features, including Super Res Zoom with 5x optical zoom, Real Tone, Night Sight, and Portrait photography. Additionally, the phone provides professional-level modes found in Pixel 7 Pro, such as 10-bit HDR video.

The exterior screen on Pixel Fold, which measures 1080 x 2092 pixels, can achieve a brightness of up to 1550 nits, while the interior display, which measures 2208 x 1840 pixels, can reach up to 1450 nits. As a result, both screens should be sufficiently bright to be easily visible outdoors.

Pixel Fold -- Pricing & Availability

The Pixel Fold is available to preorder for $1,799, and includes a free Wi-Fi Google Pixel Watch. Orders made today will arrive as soon as June 27.

This story is breaking. Refresh often for the most currrent information

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    You are better off buying some GOOG stock with that money.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 2 of 23
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    You spend $1799 on a iPad mini equivalent the battery lasts only 24 hours? 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    "However, upon opening, it unveils a 7.6-inch screen that has a slimmer profile than any other foldable phone currently available in the market"

How slim is that? I thought the Mate X3 was pretty slim at 5.3mm but I've seen a couple of sites mention 6mm for the Pixel Fold. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-mate-x3

Anilu_777
  • Reply 4 of 23
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    You could buy an iPhone, iPad mini and Apple Watch for less than that..
    pscooter63applebynaturewatto_cobracornchiprezwitsjony0
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,320member
    As these foldable devices progress, are they getting better at making the discontinuity/crease less noticeable?
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 23
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 834member
    I hate Google for its constant abuse of consumer privacy. I refuse to use Google search or any of its software apps and I don't find its hardware products compelling. But it IS the one company most capable of creating a complete hardware/software ecosystem to compete with Apple and, regardless of what you think about these latest announcements, they're another shot across the bow. I do think AI will prove to be the next "iPhone moment" in technology, and while there's a constant drumbeat of AI news out of Google and Microsoft, Apple--at least for the moment--isn't even in the conversation. I could imagine AI augmentation of consumer tech devices being a very promotable driver of sales--or Google including a whole suite of AI-augmented software apps with its hardware for "free" by monetizing your data for profit. (And lots of people seem fine with this arrangement!) 

No, I'm not predicting "Apple is doomed," but I hope Tim is paying attention and doesn't let Apple get "iPhone'd" by a competitor. 
    edited May 2023 DooofusAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    I'm actually encouraged by this device in terms of seeing that folding phones don't have to suck. It's not a huge leap forward, still has a visible seam, but it shows promise and hints that Apple may be able to do something similar but much better if they decide to join the folding party. It actually seems well thought out compared to some of the oddball stuff we've seen from Samsung. If Google can do something like this it makes me wonder what Apple might be able to do. 

Durability is always a concern with folding devices, especially since putting a protective case on it seems nearly impossible. The eye-watering price may scare away some folks, but it gives Apple a bit more headroom in terms of what they may be able to ask for their next generation devices, assuming the response to Google's price tag does not rattle their fans.

I think the customer response to Google's device may hinge on how the thing feels in the hand. If the folding mechanism is robust and precise, does not get sloppy with use, and feels like a premium product, they may be on to something. But if it's clumsy to hold, unbalanced, and too heavy the target audience will be fairly small. I can hold my iPad mini in one hand while poking at it with the other (in portrait orientation), but it doesn't have a big hinge right in the middle of it.
    FileMakerFellerAnilu_777gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Furthermore, the custom-built hinge contributes to the phone's thinness while simultaneously doubling as the most durable hinge available.
    [emphasis added]

Qualification is needed here. "Most durable hinge available" on a particular class of device? Based on what evidence?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23

Once fully unfolded, the interior screen on Pixel Fold provides all of the advantages of a tablet. Many apps are optimized to utilize the larger screen fully, allowing for an immersive experience when watching shows, reading books, or playing games. 
    More marketing fluff masquerading as information. "Many apps" could be a relatively large number from the perspective of the individual user (say, 100 or so) yet still be a minuscule percentage of the apps available on Google Play. Further, that's assuming that the apps are indeed optimised for the larger screen; Android has always been about upscaling or downscaling the interface to take advantage of the available real estate - this does not fit my definition of "optimized for" and is better described as "capable of."

The first quoted sentence is missing a big qualifier at the end: "all of the advantages of a tablet but with a hinge in the middle." The hinge provides a visual and tactile interruption to the screen; it might be subtle enough that it can be ignored after a while once the user grows familiar with it, but I don't think the sentence as written covers the situation well enough to be upgraded from "marketing copy" to "introductory device review."
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    “Powered by the Titan M2 chip”

seriously? using the M2 name and adding an adjective, but in the front…  shameless
    applebynaturewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    The crease will need to be flat (invisible) for me to buy one. However, I will never buy a Google device. Google Snoop, spy and achieve, yeah don't think so.
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    d_2 said:

seriously? using the M2 name and adding an adjective, but in the front…  shameless
    Google has been using the noun "Titan" to designate its chip design for a few years now. It is not a new thing.

By the way, the Pixel Fold is smaller than I had expected. Here it is side-by-side with the rest of the Pixel phone lineup

edited May 2023 Fred257
  • Reply 13 of 23
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    It looks interesting.  But not for $1800.  And that's just the base price for 256 GB of storage, which is not enough in my view.  512 costs another $130.  So after tax it's the price of a decent MacBook.  As for color, you get Porcelain (Dull Gold) or....Obsidian (black).   

Yeah, that's a no from me, dawg.  
  • Reply 14 of 23
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    gatorguy said:
    d_2 said:

Google has been using the noun "Titan" to designate its chip design for a few years now. It is not a new thing.

By the way, the Pixel Fold is smaller than I had expected. Here it is side-by-side with the rest of the Pixel phone lineup

Incorporating M2 is shameless and deceiving. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Im’a Pass.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    I still don't see the point of it beyond novelty.

It's too small to use for typing up documents, etc, with any regularity. You could unfold it and watch a movie or TV show, which will be a 'letterboxed' picture that's maybe a couple millimeters bigger than what you'd see on the regular phone screen turned horizontally. I guess it would be better for watching old TV shows, which would appear close to full-screen on the unfolded device. 

This is truly a technology looking for a purpose.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 23
    HrebHreb Posts: 82member
    I love the idea of a small foldable phone, but even folded, pixel fold is 3.1" wide -- even wider than an iphone 14 pro max.
    I'm not saying there isn't a market for an $1800 foldable phablet, but this form factor makes no sense as a foldable phone.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    Seriously, if Apple ever does produce something with a folding screen, it's far more likely to be an iPad. There's a far greater use-case for a large-screen 'iPad Pro Max' that folds horizontally so it's easier to stow in a briefcase. There'd be no need for an extra screen on the back/outside, and the large screen could maintain the standard iPad aspect ratio. There'd be no need to rewrite software to accommodate it. With a large device, it would be easier to spread out the guts inside in order to make it thinner, so that the folded device isn't like a large cinder block. With Sidecar, it could also double as a large second screen for your MacBook Pro. Now, that's a device that would have value beyond the momentary novelty of showing your friends that it folds. This folding google phone is not.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Hreb said:
    I love the idea of a small foldable phone, but even folded, pixel fold is 3.1" wide -- even wider than an iphone 14 pro max.
    I'm not saying there isn't a market for an $1800 foldable phablet, but this form factor makes no sense as a foldable phone.
    In practical terms it is the same width as the Pro Max: 3.1 compared to 3.05. 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    d_2 said:

gatorguy said:
    d_2 said:

Incorporating M2 is shameless and deceiving. 
    Ummm.... Be careful what you complain about since it can come back to bite you.  If anyone were being "shameless" it would have been Apple. Google rolled out the Tensor M-series chip two years before Apple introduced their also named M-series chip. So you still want to call it deceptive and shameful to copy a chipset name from a competitor? Look in your own home first. 

In any event, to dispel with confusion circulating among some AI readers: Titan is Google's security chip, and the one in the Fold is the M2 version. The processor is a Tensor G2, "generation 2".
    edited May 2023 muthuk_vanalingamrezwits