imac DV G4 upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hmmm. My space computer is an iMac DV, which I have an irrational love for...for $500 I can get a G4 popped into it, along with a meg of cache:

http://www.technowarehousellc.com/g4upforslloi.html

Anybody considering this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Hmmm. My space computer is an iMac DV, which I have an irrational love for...for $500 I can get a G4 popped into it, along with a meg of cache:

http://www.technowarehousellc.com/g4upforslloi.html

Anybody considering this?

It says on the page its $299
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    For $300... it seems like a pretty good deal, provided you already have the iMac and you don't have to upgrade other parts extensively (i.e. RAM and Hard drive). If you still have a 10 GB hard drive and 128 MB of RAM, you'd probably also need to get a new hard drive and you'd definitely need at least another 128 MB of RAM. If you had to upgrade those as well, it might not be as good a deal, but look into the cost for you and find out if it's really worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    hmmm, that is a thought:

you have to open up the computer yourself and change out and put back in the part....so you would have to be comfortable with that....

so $299 for G4 and while you have it open throw in a HD for 100 bucks (like this one)

and some more ram (here) for 80 bucks....

so you go from G3 400 iMac DV with lets say 256 of ram and a 10 gig HD to G4 500 iMac DV with 768 ram and 60 gig HD for $480 (round out to 500 bucks)....not bad...but i would probably run the g3 till it dies and keep it as art...that 500 bucks would almost buy an eMac or could be a nice chunk down on an iMac or iBook....g
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    i misread--wow, I am much more interested now.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    i'm very interested. i replaced the stock 10 gigger in mine with a 5400RPM 30GB hard drive. i've got 512MB RAM right now. with a 100Mhz boost and a G4, OS X might actually be bearable. if only i could solder a new graphics card to the motherboard....

mmmm...sweet silence....no fans running on this computer.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    hmmm....

hold on just a minute. you actually have to take out the motherboard and ship it to this company. it's not an upgrade like a sonnet or newer tech cpu. i would be interested if it was something like a 733Mhz G4, but for only 100Mhz i think i'll take a pass and keep my imac in one piece.