I heard from a friend that 10.2.5 is buggy. True?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A friend of mine that uses a Mac said that he loaded OS X 10.2.5 onto his machine via Software Update, and that his Mac has become less stable in various ways: unexpected quits, etc. I may note that he has a rather quirkey setup: A B&W G3 with a Powerlogix G4 card (or maybe Sonnet), RAID 0, and an older GPU. Whether the upgrade card is somehow unsupported, i am not sure. If any one uses 10.2.5, I'd like to hear about the dependability of this 10.2.x update, and whether I would face any negative effects on a Powermac G4/800 with 256 MB RAM. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Rock solid here. Not a single problem.

Of course, 10.2.4 was rock-solid for me too.

Dual 500 G4, 36 GB, 60 GB, 832 MB RAM, 32 MB Radeon, blah blah blah...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    ......Eeeeeexxceellent! Any other opinions?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Everything is fine on my eMac. I can't notice anything different than 10.2.4 except now my modem stays connected to the net.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    No problems here either. Unplugging my USB hub doesn't wake up my pb anymore (that's a good thing, btw).
  • Reply 5 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Didn't introduce any new bugs for me on my 12" but then again it didn't fix many old bugs either...Apple how bout those NVIDIA GeForce 420 Go drivers?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    works fine for me and solved my one bug in 10.2.4 (using scroll wheel on logitech mouse would freeze computer every morning shortly after start-up, had to do a warm boot every day

plus the date/time thing is fixed
  • Reply 7 of 16
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

No problems here either. Unplugging my USB hub doesn't wake up my pb anymore (that's a good thing, btw).

Shit, you're right. I just noticed plugging and unplugging my iBook's mouse wasn't causing it to wake up from 10 seconds and then go back to sleep.

10.2.5 is just as stable for me as 10.2.4, which was more stable than 10.2.3 and previous versions of Jaguar. In 10.2.3, my computer occasionally would freeze whenever I logged out.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

A friend of mine that uses a Mac said that he loaded OS X 10.2.5 onto his machine via Software Update, and that his Mac has become less stable in various ways: unexpected quits, etc. I may note that he has a rather quirkey setup: A B&W G3 with a Powerlogix G4 card (or maybe Sonnet), RAID 0, and an older GPU. Whether the upgrade card is somehow unsupported, i am not sure. If any one uses 10.2.5, I'd like to hear about the dependability of this 10.2.x update, and whether I would face any negative effects on a Powermac G4/800 with 256 MB RAM. Thanks.

There is a problem with some USB hubs and 10.2.5. Kernel panics about every ten minutes.

Unplugging the hubs makes the problem go away. Apple's boards are full of people talking about it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    MUCH better for me than 10.2.4.

In Jag, I think 10.2.3 and 10.2.5 have been the stablest updates.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    no probs here....iMac FP 800 running 10.2.5

no crashes, no freezes, no kernal panics....

knocking on wooden head....

g
  • Reply 11 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    No problems here either. I even mess a lot with my system, and I still have never had any problems with an update. Guess I'm just lucky
  • Reply 12 of 16
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    The only people I know of that had any problems with apple updates don't have ligit licensed copies. Usually because they installed betas on top of betas, or something didn't get cleanly removed when the reinstalled. I'm willing to bet if your friend uses an "official" jaguar CD, and by that I mean one straight from the Apple box (not an "official one" he downloaded from somewhere) and install the update then (on a completely new drive) his problems would go away. Most problems are confilcts from running betas at one time or another or the user believing they have the exact copy of 10.2 boxed when really they are one version number behind.

It causes all the problems.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    The one issue 10.2.5 has brought to my door is the painfully slow displaying of contextual menus in the Finder, when more than a couple of items are selected. That used to be more or less instantaneous. At the present, it takes 15 or more (up to 30) seconds. Now THAT's a bug. Sad to say I use that feature quite often \
  • Reply 14 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    looks good. Thanks! But more posts are still welcome!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

looks good. Thanks! But more posts are still welcome!

Like I said:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25440

Apple's apparently looking into the issue.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 16 of 16
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Apple is blaming our 3rd party hardware instead of taking responsibility. These devices all worked fine before the update. This is from MacInTouch:

[11:25 ET]_ George Lawrence Storm forwarded explanations for the Mac OS X 10.2.5 kernel panic, posted in Apple's USB mailing list, confirming a link with USB hubs:

On one of Apple's lists is a nice little discussion and possible explanation of the USB panic issue. (It is a publicly-available list).

[Apple USB Software Team] We're aware of this problem -- it is a result of devices that fail to enumerate. Disconnecting them or connecting them to a different hub is one workaround. I'm sure you'll see this fixed in a future version of the IOUSBFamily.

[... Devices are] not responding correctly to requests while in the default state. The default state is when the device is addressed at ID zero, i.e. after RESET and before SET_ADDRESS.

_ Chapter 9 of the spec enumerates what a device has to be able to do in the default state, but it basically boils down to responding to a GET_DESCRIPTOR(device) and a SET_ADDRESS. It sounds like simple stuff (and it is), but you may be surprised at the number of devices which can't actually get this level of basic functionality right.

_ There are swaths of code in the hub driver to cope with these situations, and, as you see, sometimes it doesn't quite work.

Here is a copy & paste from Macintouch Reader Reports for today:

Apr. 16

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:03:56 -0400

Subject: Dead monitors after 10.2.5 upgrade

A cautionary tale:

I just upgraded my G4 dual 1GHz to 10.2.5 via the combo upgrade within Software Update. Upon re-boot, 2 of my 3 monitors were dead. These were powered by the video card that came with the G4; the ATI Exclaim card powering my third monitor was unaffected.

I repaired permissions, blew the PRAM, wiggled the wires, said several colorful incantations, and generally did the dance of cyberSupplication. Nada.

Then I remembered my little buddy, the CUDA switch. I powered down, cracked case, pushed the magic button on the logic board, closed case, fired it up, and Bingo, back in business.

The CUDA switch is a hardware reset microswitch found somewhere on the logic board. It delivers the equivalent of electroshock therapy, resetting most of the system hardware defaults back to original condition, sort of like a PRAM blast on steroids.

Once you do this, don't forget to re-set your clock, and you may also need to tweak other aspects of your system.

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:03:11 -0600

Subject: More on 10.2.5 kernel panics

I made the major gaffe of installing the update while on the road and then had, um, plenty of time to try and debug the kernel panic that my 667Mhz TiBook spits out 4-7 minutes after booting up. It might be a USB issue, but I have no external USB devices, so that's definitely concerning!

I have ascertained the following:

If I boot into safe mode (hold down the shift key while booting) it runs fine for as long as I can handle not having a sound driver and network drivers included.

If I boot into single user mode (sorry, a Unixism) with CMD-S, it runs fine. I then completely emptied out /Library/PreferencePanes, /Library/StartUpItems and ~/Library/PreferencePanes and ~/Library/StartUpItems and when I exit single user mode it goes into multiuser and after 4-7 minutes kernel panics. A "top" reveals that there's almost nothing running other than standard Unix/OSX daemons (though for some annoying reason it still insists on running Palm Desktop, though I can't figure out how that's being launched).

If I boot into regular mode but don't log in, it can sit at the login prompt for quite a long time without crashing, suggesting that the offending panic is coming from something started once a user has logged in.

Meanwhile, I'm on the road again in three days so I think I'm going to have to roll back to 10.2.4 if I can figure out how to do that. My question: is there some way to make a 10.2.4 install CDROM or download an install package that would step on top of 10.2.5? (and if so, how do I do this since I can't boot my TiBook into multiuser/networked mode...)

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:13:12 -0400

Subject: Mac OS X 10.2.5 kernel panics

I have a 1 GB TiBook and experienced kernel panics shortly after upgrading from 10.2.4 using the small package. I disconnected my Asante 7-port hub and the kernel panics disappeared. I then reconnected it and started disconnecting the peripherals connected to the hub one at a time. The offending gadget turned out to be my Dazzle 6 card reader. I haven't had a crash in the last nine hours. Everything else appears to be working as it was under 10.2.4. The odd thing is that I can plug the Dazzle device into the TiBook's second USB port, and it doesn't cause the computer to crash.

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:18:21 -0700

Subject: 10.2.5 Kernel Panics

Just a note to say that I also experienced kernel panics after upgrading from 10.2.4 to 10.2.5. Software update vs. downloaded combo update made no difference. No disk errors, permissions fix did not help. Panics every 15 minutes or so, every time, for about a dozen boots. Disconnecting my Griffin 4 port USB hub did keep the crashes away. Only had three devices in it. Dual 533MHz G4 Desktop Mac.