Several new Macs will launch at WWDC, says Gurman

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Backing up recent rumors, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman says that WWDC will include multiple Macs alongside the expected Apple AR headset.

The rumored 15-inch MacBook Air could arrive at WWDC
The rumored 15-inch MacBook Air could arrive at WWDC

Following the discovery of three unknown desktop Mac models in Apple's Find My code, Gurman predicts an extended WWDC will concentrate on hardware.

I'm expecting three major focus areas next week: 1) several new Macs, 2) the mixed-reality headset, 3) the new OSs. With all of the new hardware and software, I expect the keynote to be one of Apple's longest ever and easily exceed two hours.

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)
Gurman does not say how many "several" means, but he has previously claimed that Macs with Apple's M3 next generation processor won't launch before the end of 2023. So, anything launched will likely remain with some variant of the M2 processor.

A repeated rumor points to the expected 15-inch MacBook Air as part of WWDC's line up. It's unlikely that the 14-inch MacBook Pro or the 16-inch MacBook Pro will be updated, as those both had revisions earlier in 2023.

Separately, in April 2023, Gurman predicted that neither an updated Mac Studio nor a New Mac Pro would be seen at WWDC. However, Gurman has more recently suggested that the Mac Studio may be refreshed, as Apple will begin taking trade-ins for the Mac Studio from the day WWDC begins.

Apple's week-long WWDC for software developers starts with a keynote on Monday, June 5, 2023. That presentation will be streamed live.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,426member
    I really hope apple comes out with a compelling M-based Mac Pro. But it wouldn’t be crazy to just update to the latest Xeon, especially if intel gave apple a really sweet price (ie, much lower than what Dell et al pay). 
    williamlondonbandits1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 521member
    When has there been WWDC main keynote longer than two hours? I don't think so. They will not announce all those Macs at WWDC, unless they are revolutionary. They maybe release them the same day, but not announce them. This is a developer's conference, not a hardware conference.
    edited May 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    jkmutahjkmutah Posts: 10member
    When has there been WWDC main keynote longer than two hours? I don't think so. They will not announce all those Macs at WWDC, unless they are revolutionary. They maybe release them the same day, but not announce them. This is a developer's conference, not a hardware conference.
    Someone says this every year and someone else discredits this statement every year.  Hardware has been announced SEVERAL times at WWDC.  Why do people keep saying this?
    thtcharlesndocno42blastdoordanoxd_2williamlondonfastasleepronnAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,990member
    How about an iMac “for the rest of us?” Wife and I have gone through several generations of big screen iMacs. We are retired and our eyes are not what they used to be. The larger screen is very helpful. We are told to get a stand-alone big screen and a Mini. We are on a fixed income and that option comes at a price. Apple is very conscientious about tools for the disabled, but that’s overkill for us, we don’t need screen magnification, just a bit more screen real estate to allow for changing resolutions. Besides, we’ve always loved the all-in-one footprint of an iMac. Come on, Tim. Have mercy on us tweeners—old, but not disabled. 
    9secondkox2danoxd_2williamlondonronnAlex1Nmarklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 940member
    jkmutah said:
    Someone says this every year and someone else discredits this statement every year.  Hardware has been announced SEVERAL times at WWDC.  Why do people keep saying this?
    Exactly. Not to mention that we already know Apple will announce and showcase its VR headset at WWDC, one of its biggest (and riskiest) HARDWARE launches in the history of the company. So much for "not a hardware conference." 
    blastdoor9secondkox2danoxronnAlex1Nmarklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    jkmutah said:
    You misread what I said. Yes hardware is announced at many WWDCs, and there is highly likely there will be hardware announced this year. This is developers conference, where most of the keynote is software. To expect all of these Macs to be announced is silly. That would be make this a heavy hardware conference. Why would the Air be announced this WWDC? What feature with the Air is so good, as to take away time from all the software feature? What is it about the Air that is pro enough to be announced with all the other Pro level Macs and goggles? 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 25
    charlesn said:
    jkmutah said:
    Exactly. Not to mention that we already know Apple will announce and showcase its VR headset at WWDC, one of its biggest (and riskiest) HARDWARE launches in the history of the company. So much for "not a hardware conference." 
    Not what I said. Why would the Air for example be announced at WWDC? What feature is so good as to be announced at WWDC?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    dk49dk49 Posts: 271member
    Apply please just release the mystical Mac Pro lol. It's been a long wait. 
    danoxAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    jibjib Posts: 58member
    Still waiting for a new silicon iMac Pro with 27" or larger screen.
    danox9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,297member
    I’m not longing for $3K ski goggles but need a new laptop. 
    But it makes sense Apple won’t release the M3. They want to put as much focus as possible on the ski goggles. The laptops probably have to wait. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 25
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,426member
    jkmutah said:
    You misread what I said. Yes hardware is announced at many WWDCs, and there is highly likely there will be hardware announced this year. This is developers conference, where most of the keynote is software. To expect all of these Macs to be announced is silly. That would be make this a heavy hardware conference. Why would the Air be announced this WWDC? What feature with the Air is so good, as to take away time from all the software feature? What is it about the Air that is pro enough to be announced with all the other Pro level Macs and goggles? 
    What's "silly" is your belief that experience with pre-pandemic live WWDC keynote length is relevant in a world where the keynote will be entirely pre-recorded. 

It's entirely possible that while the entire keynote is much longer than 'normal', it might also be made available in smaller 'episodes' for people to watch who are only interested in those specific episodes. So maybe you can either binge the whole thing, watch all episodes but not all at the same time, or watch only the episodes you care about. 
    rezwitsronnAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    thttht Posts: 5,540member
    The rumor season leading up to WWDC has been bonkers crazy, from the big hitters like Gurman, Ross Young, and Kuo themselves, let alone the people without track records.

At multiple points in time, rumors were saying no Macs would be updated, no major OS updates would be done, the headset would be announce every month from January to November.

Apple's doing some careful psy-ops here.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,097member
    There’s a hole burning in my pocket for a new Mac desktop computer, and I don’t mean Mac Headroom….
    edited May 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 25
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,729member
    charlesn said:
    jkmutah said:
    Not what I said. Why would the Air for example be announced at WWDC? What feature is so good as to be announced at WWDC?
    The M2 MBA was announced during WWDC 2022.  So it can definitely happen again
    rezwitsronnAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    blastdoor said:
    jkmutah said:
    What's "silly" is your belief that experience with pre-pandemic live WWDC keynote length is relevant in a world where the keynote will be entirely pre-recorded. 

It's entirely possible that while the entire keynote is much longer than 'normal', it might also be made available in smaller 'episodes' for people to watch who are only interested in those specific episodes. So maybe you can either binge the whole thing, watch all episodes but not all at the same time, or watch only the episodes you care about. 
    The schedule is already out. How are we debating that the main WWDC keynote length? The main keynote starts at 10AM PT, the State of the Union is 1:30PM PT. The main keynote generally runs around 1 3/4 hours. The max length this WWDC can be is 2 1/2 hours. It might be prerecorded, but the audience still requires a break for food, drink and bathroom. Yeah they can watch it later, but a good deal of people will want to watch it live. Sure you could break the keynote up, but that has never been done. What defines much longer as normal for this keynote anyhow?
    chutzpahAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    charlesn said:
    jkmutah said:
    The M2 MBA was announced during WWDC 2022.  So it can definitely happen again
    it is not that it can't be announced, I just don't see it important enough, compared to everything else that is expected to be announced. If it was a slower year, sure I can see that, just not this year.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,638member
    I enjoy this site and other rumourmongers, but when the weekend arrives I will stop seeking leaks and just let myself be surprised on Monday.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,534member
    Apple’s secret sauce has always been its tight integration of their hardware and their software. Of course they will announce hardware and software that builds on that strength.

Software developers are big consumers of cutting edge hardware platforms and tools that make their jobs easier. Software developers are very expensive, so anything that makes them more effective and efficient is money in the bank for the businesses or individuals who employ them. 

Likewise, new hardware platforms, like Apple Silicon, need massive support from the software development community to be successful. If Apple is rolling out a new platform, say something related to VR, or even a new product, like a new Mac Pro, they’ll need an army of software (and accessories) developers to maximize its potential, especially if third parties are part of the equation. 

Where does this army come from? They get recruited. WWDC is a big part of that recruiting effort. Otherwise Apple would just quietly keep on keeping on with its internal efforts and staffing. 

Sure, Apple will never pass up a tactical opportunity to stand up marketing folks in front of a large pile of eager techsters and enthusiasts, but WWDC is at its core a very significant part of Apple’s strategy execution. 

Anything that plays a role to further Apple’s strategic objectives is in-bounds and in play for WWDC, be it hardware, software, partnerships, support of industry standards like Swift or Matter, or whatever pieces are needed to execute on the strategy. Apple doesn’t have to follow anyone’s rules for what gets publicly surfaced at WWDC. They own the rule book. 
    Alex1Ndanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    scatzscatz Posts: 30member
    Looking forward very much to a 15 inch macbook air. Used a 15 pro when working for 20 years, now retired with 13 inch mba the only thing i would like is a 15 inch screen with same light weight and great battery life.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    rsantanarsantana Posts: 15member
    My only hope, is that the unfortunate manager person that had the OG HomePod discontinued, be the same that did the 27” iMac as well… somebody that deserves been fired a long time ago..!
    Alex1Ndanoxwatto_cobra