Nomad Atlantic Blue sport strap review: A new limited color for sunny days

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2023
Nomad is out with its latest limited edition colorway for its Apple Watch strap, this time it's Atlantic Blue and is inspired by the colors of the ocean.

Nomad's Sport Strap in Atlantic Blue

Joining the previously-released High Volta and Electric Blue is a new, darker hue.

Atlantic Blue is the third limited-edition band to hit Nomad's shelves. Outside of Atlantic Blue, Nomad still offers Marine Blue, Lunar Gray, Ash Green, black, Ultra Orange, and Dune.

The company says the new Atlantic Blue Our is "inspired by the power of the ocean" and is a much deeper blue than the Marine Blue or Electric Blue in Nomad's color wheel.

Nomad Atlantic Blue sport strap - A tried and true design

The design here hasn't changed. Nomad is taking an Apple approach and regularly releasing new colors of its popular band without changing the physical design.

Back of the Nomad Atlantic Blue strap
Back of the Nomad Atlatnic Blue Strap

It's made of a fluoroelastomer rubber known as FKM. This material is very durable, UV-resistant, and moisture-wicking.

There are channels on the underside of the band to improve flexibility and breathability while also allowing water to not get trapped after swimming.

Nomad uses custom hardware for its bands. The buckle is made of metal and has a dark brushed finish.

Hitting the lake with Nomad's Atlantic Blue strap
Hitting the lake with Nomad's Atlantic Blue strap

The band has a slightly textured exterior which gives a satin-like appearance. Overall, it's a clean, modern-looking band that we love.

Our only gripe is that the band still has issues when connecting to Apple Watch Ultra. It can be a little fickle and must have it aligned precisely to fit.

We change our bands often, and it's tedious when the band doesn't slide on straight away.

Nomad Atlantic Blue sport strap - a striking new color

We're big fans of the new Atlantic Blue. It isn't long we go without being near water, and this ocean-like band gives us strong water vibes.

Not only is it inspired by the ocean, but it looks best out there too. Indoors, the blue color doesn't come through too much and looks far better in sunlight.

Paddleboarding with the Nomad Sport Strap
Paddleboarding with the Nomad Sport Strap

In our sample photos above, you can see that when the strap is in the shade, it looks like a dark grey or black versus blue. The sunlight helps the band pop.

Nomad Atlantic Blue Sport Strap
Nomad Atlantic Blue Sport Strap

Nomad had been on a roll introducing vivid colors but now has returned to the dark ones it is known for. Electric Blue, High Volta, and Ultra Orange are exceptionally vibrant and makes this one feel a bit muted.

This isn't our favorite limited edition color Nomad has put out, but it does look great when we hit the waves.

Nomad Atlantic Blue sport strap - Pros

• Striking new color

• Comfortable to wear for long periods

• Durable

• Breathable

• Water resistant

Nomad Atlantic Blue sport strap- Cons

• Only available in limited quantities

• Only available in 45/49mm sizes

• Finnicky when connecting to Apple Watch Ultra

• Yet another dark color from Nomad

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Where to buy

Pick up the new Atlantic Blue Nomad Sport Strap from company's website for $60 while they're available.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 808member
    When is a limited edition not a limited edition? When you sell out, label it as "Sold Out" and then restock, which is what Nomad did with the Electric Blue "Limited Edition" that preceded this and has since sold out again. (To be offered a third time at a later date?) Either make it a true limited edition or add it to your regular lineup of colors--either choice is fine--but don't promote fake scarcity. 
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 2 of 8
    JP234 said:
    Who spends $60 for a rubber watch band that likely costs just pennies to manufacture? And what does Atlantic think those people are? Suckers, that's what.
    "Atlantic" doesn't think anything because it's the name of the color not the company. But hey, the Nomad name is only mentioned about 100 times in the article, so I can see how you might have missed it. Nomad, since you obviously don't know the company, has had a very successful business for 11 years making high-quality, custom-designed accessories for Apple products. Who buys Nomad? People who think the quality and designs justify the price and have the disposable income to afford the products. I guess this is not you, but why the name-calling? There are lots of Chinese companies on Amazon that will sell you rubber Watch bands for $3, so just shop there. 
    Japheymuthuk_vanalingamchutzpah
  • Reply 3 of 8
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 931member
    For a band that seems to be a natural for the Ultra I’d expect a better fit than “finicky”. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    JFC_PA said:
    For a band that seems to be a natural for the Ultra I’d expect a better fit than “finicky”. 
    I think "finicky" overstates what the issue is with Nomad sport bands, of which I have several--it's really that Nomad bands slide into the Watch differently than other bands and once you understand that, it's no problem. Bands for the Watch have three "pins" on the underside that slide into the watch easily and then "lock" into place. On Nomad sport bands--and even their titanium band--the middle pin is slightly raised above the others and prevents you from just sliding the band all the way in. You simply have to push down on the middle pin slightly as you slide and then the band goes in easily. Since the middle pin on every Nomad sport band is like this, it seems to be intentional on their part and not a manufacturing problem. (It's a feature not a bug!), although I don't know why Nomad is doing this. Perhaps it locks in the band more securely, but I've never had a Watch band slide out accidentally. In any case, once you know to do that, it's not at all finicky. 
    edited June 2023 muthuk_vanalingamJFC_PA
  • Reply 5 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    Who spends $60 for a rubber watch band that likely costs just pennies to manufacture? And what does Atlantic think those people are? Suckers, that's what.
    Lol
  • Reply 6 of 8
    charlesn said:
    JFC_PA said:
    I think "finicky" overstates what the issue is with Nomad sport bands, of which I have several--it's really that Nomad bands slide into the Watch differently than other bands and once you understand that, it's no problem. Bands for the Watch have three "pins" on the underside that slide into the watch easily and then "lock" into place. On Nomad sport bands--and even their titanium band--the middle pin is slightly raised above the others and prevents you from just sliding the band all the way in. You simply have to push down on the middle pin slightly as you slide and then the band goes in easily. Since the middle pin on every Nomad sport band is like this, it seems to be intentional on their part and not a manufacturing problem. (It's a feature not a bug!), although I don't know why Nomad is doing this. Perhaps it locks in the band more securely, but I've never had a Watch band slide out accidentally. In any case, once you know to do that, it's not at all finicky. 
    That’s very helpful. I’d ordered the band and this will definitely help. 

They’re definitely into security so that may just be it, a second barrier to uncontrolled unlatching.  My Nomad 14 pro max case is a very tight fit. 
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Kudos Nomad customer service. An email I just received:

” Hi nomad, 

Thanks for your recent order with us! We can’t wait for you to receive your new Apple Watch Band. 

Are you planning to use your new Band with an Apple Watch Ultra? If so, be sure to press down on the center lug latch while slowly sliding the Sport Band into the watch channels. Check out this videoto see how it’s done! 

Cheers, 
    The Nomad Team

You received this email from NOMAD. If you would like to unsubscribe, click here.