Siri may lose the 'hey' in Apple's iOS 17 changes

Posted:
in iOS
The "Hey Siri" command may get shortened down to just "Siri," a last-minute rumor about Apple's WWDC announcements for iOS 17 claims.

Siri
Siri

The "Hey Siri" command has been ingrained into many iPhone and iPad users as the way to start asking Siri a question. If a late Friday rumor is true, users may not need to say "Hey" anymore.

Tweeting on Friday evening, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman says that a major project to change the "Hey Siri" trigger phrase to just "Siri" may have come to fruition, According to Gurman, it's something to look out for as a possible announcement during WWDC.

Gurman previously discussed the project in November 2022, with engineers changing a lot of the "underlying engineering" to get it to work. The problem had multiple facets, including adopting it for accents, the detection of a two-syllable trigger word instead of a longer phrase, and considerable retraining of the AI.

The comment was seemingly backed up by thread on Weibo spotted by leaker "Shrimp Apple Pro" and posted to Twitter. The thread mentions "Siri's wake-up method" would change from "Hey Siri" to just "Siri."

The Weibo text also mentions how iOS 17 has been "Androidized," with more design changes. This includes more lock screen widgets, an upgraded Smart Island, a reworked Control Center, and dynamic display support for desktop widgets.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    humbug1873humbug1873 Posts: 123member
    That'll be the day I deactivate voice activation and dump my homepods.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 26
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 89member
    Ye gads, NO

I already get false triggers for "Hey Siri" in normal conversations where I'll be interrupted with "This is what I found on the internet". Shortening/simplifying the trigger will only make it worse. 

Make it something more distinct and less likely to trigger Siri. I don't know, "Rumpelstiltskin" maybe? "Deoxyribonucleic acid"?  ;^)

As it is, Siri already behaves like a child who wanders into an adult conversation. 

How about "Hey, Donny!"

Ice Works App Recommendations  Audiobus Forum

williamlondonquadra 610macsince1988beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 26
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Wish you could customise it to whatever you want.
    thethirdshoeJP234retrogustozeus423
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I would love a more conversational way to engage with Siri but I already struggle due to my wife’s love of the response, “seriously…”
    I’ve also experienced, in the moment, hilarious moments when the news (radio, TV or a Podcast) is taking about Syria.
    Honestly, the thing I’d love them to improve/add is basic manners. Ever since SONOS added polite responses I use the voice controls more. I say, “please” or “thank you” and it responds appropriately with a “you’re welcome”. 
    eriamjhmac daddy zee
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    Yikes; tell me it aint so.  As a big fan of TB Rays and close follower of center fielder Jose Siri I fear my four HomePods will go spastic and explode as I watch MLB TV and see Jose Siri continue his homerun streak.  It is not unusual for those calling the play-by-play to mention Jose’s surname 20-30 times during nine innings.  And as others here have mentioned, I already get an occasional interruption when HomePod thinks it hears “Hey Siri” from nearby audio diaglog (often when I am listening to Sirius radio).  And as far as My HomePods only activating on my unique voice, it simply does not work.  
    williamlondonmacsince1988
  • Reply 6 of 26
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 262member
    How about a major project to make Siri not suck, has Apple thought about that? "Here's something I found on the web" is NO FUCKING HELP AT ALL WHEN I AM DRIVING
    edited June 2023 williamlondonzeus423HedwareTheSparkle
  • Reply 7 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    That'll be the day I deactivate voice activation and dump my homepods.
    Why does that get your panties in a bunch so much that you have to dump everything Apple? lol
    williamlondonpichaelsconosciutomike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    This has the smell of a fake story to weed out leakers.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    Maybe a good compromise would be to add "Simon Says," like, "Siri, Simon says turn on the kitchen light."
    coolfactor
  • Reply 10 of 26
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    chutzpah said:
    I agree. Many years ago I posted on this website a long list of alternatives to "Hey Siri" I wanted to use. one of them was "Computer" but I can't remember my other ideas.

EDIT: I found my old post (Nov 6, 2022). Here's what I suggested:

• Hey Computer (reminds me of a scene in IT Crowd)
    • Hey There
    • Hey Dude
    • Hey Servant
    • Hey You
    • Hey Jude
    • Hideyho
    • Hey Zeus (bit of a pun there, if you are a theist)
    • Hey Arnold!
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 11 of 26
    chutzpah said:
    I agree. Many years ago I posted on this website a long list of alternatives to "Hey Siri" I wanted to use. one of them was "Computer" but I can't remember my other ideas.

• Hey There
    • Hey Dude
    • Hey Servant
    • Hey You
    • Hey Jude
    • Hideyho
    • Hey Arnold!
    "Many years ago"?
    Japheysconosciutoappleinsideruser
  • Reply 12 of 26
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    chutzpah said:
    chutzpah said:

• Hey There
    • Hey Dude
    • Hey Servant
    • Hey You
    • Hey Jude
    • Hideyho
    • Hey Arnold!
    "Many years ago"?
    Yup! You caught me on a quantitative error! Congratulations.
    Japheyappleinsideruser
  • Reply 13 of 26
    chutzpah said:
    chutzpah said:

• Hey There
    • Hey Dude
    • Hey Servant
    • Hey You
    • Hey Jude
    • Hideyho
    • Hey Arnold!
    "Many years ago"?
    Yup! You caught me on a quantitative error! Congratulations.
    Didn't really catch you, you spelt it out yourself.
    sconosciutoappleinsideruser
  • Reply 14 of 26
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    chutzpah said:

Yah, I'd change it to "Computer" like in Star Trek.
    mike1
  • Reply 15 of 26
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    chutzpah said:

• Hey There
    • Hey Dude
    • Hey Servant
    • Hey You
    • Hey Jude
    • Hideyho
    • Hey Arnold!
    speaking of years ago when the Mac first had voice commands and voice sign in (well some of the time) you could give the computer any name you wanted. 
    "Toaster" was popular.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    chutzpah said:

Yah, I'd change it to "Computer" like in Star Trek.

Me too. Especially if Siri could have Majel Barrett's voice.
    macsince1988
  • Reply 17 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I did notice that some of the Siri interactions shown in the last season of Ted Lasso omitted the "Hey" part. I know it's TV land, but it caught my attention. Perhaps they did it to avoid triggering the Siri function on viewer's devices.  
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Yes please. Seems Alexa works just fine so I’m sure they can make this work. 

Considering how frustrating it is to use these days, “Oi, twat” would be my primo trigger phrase. 
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Just drop the need for a prefix at all!
    • Mummy, where are my favourite jeans? — “have you tried looking where you left them?”
    • Where are my jeans? — “making a FaceTime call to Jean” 
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Just drop the need for a prefix at all!
    • Mummy, where are my favourite jeans? — “have you tried looking where you left them?”
    • Where are my jeans? — “making a FaceTime call to Jean” 
    I'm sure nothing bad could come of having Siri constantly listening for anything that sounds like a question or command.  :D
    edited June 2023 appleinsideruser