unusable DVD/CD drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Recently, my TiBook won't read any CDs: none of my old archived CDs, nor audio CDs, nor software CDs, (including my OS 10.2 discs--so I can't reinstall my OS or boot from CD). In OS X 10.2, I get the warning: "The disk you inserted contains no volumes that OS X can read." In OS 9.2, the CD simply never mounts and is only ejected upon restarting.

What can I do to troubleshoot?

Powerbook 667

CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive

OS X 10.2 and OS 9.2 bootable

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Put a known bootable cd in the cd drive.

Reboot and press the option key while booting.

Do you see the cdrom here? You should see an OS X, OS 9 and CD icon if the cd is bootable.

I get the same message in OS X when I login as a non-admin user.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    I'll try when I get home with my 9.2 and X 10.2 discs, but OS 9 isn't reading CDs either, so I fear it's not a problem with login priveleges, but rather a hardware issue.

Thanks, will repost after I try.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have been having the exact same problems with the combo drive on my iBook. This, I believe, could be the culprit for the further problems I outlined here.

It is also worth noting another thread which points to this (the combo drive's failure) as the culprit for my troubles. Note in particular what opey_taylor has to say in his last (third) post.

It is worth noting that this is not the first time I have had the combo drive fail. It failed 6 months ago and was replaced under warranty. I asked Apple at the time if they could replace the Toshiba 4x combo drive with a Sony (which Apple also uses in iBooks) which seems to have less problems than the toshiba. Unfortunately they did not do that and now I am stuck with another dead Toshiba combo drive.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

I have been having the exact same problems with the combo drive on my iBook. This, I believe, could be the culprit for the further problems I outlined here.

Well, misfunctioning CD drive, but not the exact same problem. Mine is a DVD-ROM/CD-ROM, not a combo drive, and System profiler still recognizes it correctly. The drive just doesn't mount discs, but instead upon insertion (in OS X) it gives me the option to Ignore (continue with an unmounted disc) or Eject the disc. The F12 Eject button still works too.

Dobby, I tried booting and holding Option with the 'Book's OS 9.2 disc inside--not recognized. I also reset the PMU and trashed the Caches folders in Jaguar. Still no dice.

Any more suggestions? Thanks again, all.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bump

Any more ideas?