.mov (iMovie) -> VCD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2014
I have iMovie files (.mov) which I'd like to put on a CD so they can play in a VCD player. I know how to burn it etc. once I have the files right... but he question is.... how do I turn my .mov file into what I need for a VCD?

G4, Quicksilver, plenty of ram, broadband (to DL software), and plenty of HD space.

PS, I have some videos that Keynote has exported that I would like to do the same thing for. (Are these MPGS or MOV?, if they are MPGS, are the directions different?)

I currently have QT Pro, iMovie, Toast 4, and Keynote to work with. If I need another program I need to order it overnight (which means I will need this answer by midnight)

THANKS!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    i think Titanium Toast supports VCD and may do the .mov to mpeg1 conversion for you.

otherwise you would have to use something like "Cleaner" or something to compress and save the file first and then write an autorun file and place it in the image disk pointing to the prepared mpeg1.

go to versiontracker.com and look up "VCD".

VCDs are made from MPEG1 files so you need to save your movie as an MPEG1.

i'm outta here so if you have questions go look for a site that i think is called vcdhelp.com or something like that and go to the "mac" section.

cheers
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    not only do vcds have to be mpeg1, but they have to be a certain aspect ratio and frame speed, or else they'll play choppy on a commercial dvd player (though computers handle them well). ffmpeg has the ability to convert to a multitude of formats, but i haven't had luck converting anything to mpeg1 while changing the aspect ratio and fps with it. i think with qt pro you can change .movs to proper mpegs (i dont have qtpro so i aint sure).

edit: once you have a proper mpeg, toast can burn a vcd. and if the toast chokes on it, theres a program called vcdgear to convert mpegs to .bin/.cue files, and toast can usually burn the .bin files it creates.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks for your help. Anyone else have advice or more info before I try this tonight?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    there's also a program called vcdimager which may help. i dont remember exactly what it does, but i got it while looking to make vcds. its made by the FSF i think.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    You can try[URL=http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter-mac.html] iDealshare VideoGo[/URL] which can easily convert iMovie video files to MPG, AVI, WMV, MKV, VOB, MP4, DV and etc
  • Reply 6 of 6
    You can try iDealshare VideoGo which can convert iMovie to AVI, WMV, ASF, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX, Xvid, MP4, MKV, MPG and etc