Something killed a bunch of stuff!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed RealOne and Limewire last night on the 12" Powerbooklet. Everything worked fine. Played with them for a while and then shutdown and put myself in sleep mode.

This morning at work I get a call from wifey saying that Airport is gone from the menu bar and she can't connect. Locations doesn't work and System prefs "unexpectedly quits" when she tries to launch (that scares me).

Had her uninstall Limewire and restart - no change. She had to leave so we left it at that. I plan to uninstall RealOne when I get home.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Nope, no backup. OS10.2.4 full ram 60gig drive.

Should I repair permissions first? Re-install from the OSX software restore? Can I do that without losing data?

Thanks!

BTW I'll be buying an external FW drive and using CCC from now on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Repairing permissions can't hurt, but if it'd be a pain backing up a great deal of stuff I wouldn't plan on reinstalling just yet. I don't really know how that software could cause any of those problems, but the Sys Prefs thing really sound like a permissions thing. Either that or you could try deleting the folders Library/Caches and the Caches folder inside the Library folder in the home holder of the user(s) having the problems. By the way, love your thread title
  • Reply 2 of 2
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Repairing permissions can't hurt, but if it'd be a pain backing up a great deal of stuff I wouldn't plan on reinstalling just yet. I don't really know how that software could cause any of those problems, but the Sys Prefs thing really sound like a permissions thing. Either that or you could try deleting the folders Library/Caches and the Caches folder inside the Library folder in the home holder of the user(s) having the problems. By the way, love your thread title

Thanks for the advice, but repairing permissions didn't do the job. In fact no change whatsoever. I chose to reinstall 10.2.3 from the disk. That worked fine, but what a PITA! Spent a lot of time moving various settings back into the correct folders. Mostly for iTunes, address book, iCal, browsers etc. Left the network and location and system stuff alone. So far everything is working fine. Interestingly battery life seems a little better. Now I can't decide if I want to up it back to 10.2.4? I'm afraid of 10.2.5 until I can do backups with CCC.

Anyway, can you recommend a good external FW drive?