newbee question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Yesterday was the first time i used a mac and i wanted to install the safari browser. How can i do that? i opened the .hqx file but then stuffit said he could not open that?

How can i install this .hqx file?

thanks,

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by equinox

Yesterday was the first time i used a mac and i wanted to install the safari browser. How can i do that? i opened the .hqx file but then stuffit said he could not open that?

How can i install this .hqx file?

thanks,

Peter

Are you sure the file is fully downloaded? Because if it is, then Stuffit should have no problems un-stuffing it...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    equinoxequinox Posts: 43member
    If i double click that .hqx file nothing happens, except that stuffit says i should upgrade to 7.03. what's wrong?

i come from the windows world and there things behave a little bit different.. sorry

Regards,

Peter
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by equinox

If i double click that .hqx file nothing happens, except that stuffit says i should upgrade to 7.03. what's wrong?

i come from the windows world and there things behave a little bit different.. sorry

.sit and .hqx are compression formats that need to be decompressed, or "unstuffed" by Aladdin Systems' Stuffit Expander.

Aladdin Systems is just pestering you to upgrade to the latest version. You can if you wish to, or click through and continue unstuffing the file.

If it still doesn't work, it's possible the file got corrupted in the download. Try deleting the file and downloading it again.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Incidentally, isn't the download link from apple.com/safari an internet-enabled, self-installing DMG file?

I wouldn't think you'd need Expander at all...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Aladdin Systems is just pestering you to upgrade to the latest version. You can if you wish to, or click through and continue unstuffing the file.

If it still doesn't work, it's possible the file got corrupted in the download. Try deleting the file and downloading it again.

The very same thing happened to me a few days ago. I launched a file in the background to be decompressed, but StuffIt won't do any work until you've dealt with its near-weekly "I won't let you do anything until you decide to upgrade" screen.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    That notice is so annoying. The "Disable" button doesn't seem to do much in the way of turning the alert off.