MacFLAC lossless Audio Encoding .. ??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15883

Does anyone know if there are any audio programs that can play Flac encoded audio files?

Is it possible for iTunes to have a plug-in that'll let it be played?

Is the only point of this is to backup audio files/CDs?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If you're using X11 then xmms will play flac files.

There isn't an iTunes plug-in yet. Maybe the guys who are doing the Ogg Vorbis plugin will oblige.

It is very useful for lossless backup if you don't know what format (AAC, Ogg, ???) you'll be using in a year's time.

I use it so that I can recode to the right format/bitrate combination as appropriate e.g. flac for listening to on my stereo, my Mac or burning CDs, mp3@alt-preset-standard to share with my less technical friends, ogg@128 for taking to work on a DVD to listen to on headphones, and (hopefully) AAC@64 to make the most of the iPod I'll be getting when they release them at the end of the month.

Someone just posted to the mailing list saying they had just begun AltiVec enabling the code and after doing two function calls got ~27% improvement in speed. Nice.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    are you using macFlac to do the encoding?

thanks for the info.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MacFlac was (the last time I checked) out of date compared with the command line version which you can get from fink or flac.sourceforge.net