iTunes library management ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have an external firewire drive that houses my old mac's iTunes library .....

now I'm on a powerbook, and was wondering how I could get iTunes to recognize my external firewire drive's iTunes library?

Is there an efficient way to keep my iTunes player current, even when I don't have the firewire drive plugged in?

I need the space from the external drive to hold my music, since the powerbook's drive is small.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    you would go to preferences in iTunes. then click on the advanced button. From there it has a change button. click that and navigate to your library on your external.

To import, just go under file, and click the add to library, click the folder your music is in, and voila.

Note, if your external is unplugged the songs will not play.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    what happens if i try & add a song into iTunes with my external drive isn't there?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    With the folder selected as the external drives folder, it won't be able to do anything. However you can always change that folder, inport the songs you want, then later back them up to your external, and change the folder again.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Think this would work wirh Airport if I tried to use and external drive connected to my desktop? Y'know...like Rendevous printing, along with music?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

what happens if i try & add a song into iTunes with my external drive isn't there?

yo Badtz

no worries if your drive is not attached. I run the same situation at home with my library on a fileserver that I access using airport . A couple of times my airport link got zapped while I was ripping through my CD collection (at 320Kbps), all that happened was it started a new library at the default location in my Music folder in my home directory.

then all you have to do is reset your library location to your firewire drive (when it is attached) and the add the new MP3s to your collection (make sure you have set the preferences to move added mp3s to your music directory, this setting is also on the advanced tab of preferences).

good luck