Sound problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
G'day from Australia

My iMac (FP700MHz) is giving me grief. I've updated to 10.2.5 hoping to fix a sound problem, but no luck.

For some time now CD Spin Doctor, Mail Voice Clip and any other sound recording program will not function - or at least capture a recording. All I hear is a kind of muted scratching sound.

I did have some major direcory damage a while back, but Norton fixed that (I think). I have AudioHijack Pro, RealOne (latest release) and Windows Media Player installed. I used to be able to record using my Griffin thingy, but not now.

Perhaps I should do an Archive and Install from my Jaguar disks then update with the combo updater. I've never done this before and after reading the Apple KB article, I'm confused about their reference to third party items.

I know I'd have to reinstall my printer driver and Page Sender, but I'm not sure about what else. Other than comparing the two installations in side by side windows, is there a another way to do this? Will I be able to copy files from the old system to the new system one by one and test after each install?

Any advice would be appreciated.