Form Z 4.0 finally out*

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm probably one of the few people here that still uses Form Z, but I'm curious if anyone else pays attention to these guys outside of the architecture industry. It does at least look like a decent OS X application, improved tear off palettes and better organized tabbed dialogs and inspectors. The big draws are the full nurbs, the improved handling of parametrics, the usual gamut of file types it can import, the new lightworks engine, network rendering, plus a bunch of smaller changes. We're getting our copies of the thing next week, but of course after the 3.6 fiasco, we'll be keeping 3.9.5 for a while even after we switch versions full-time just in case.

*it's sort of out. It's a "gamma" version for a few weeks at first (a term I've only heard from the Auto-des-sys folks), with the inevitable first big bug fix release coming as the "final" some weeks later, once the dust has settled.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    uh... my brother's gonna like that!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    You can d/l a demo now.

Blazingly fast I/O, and the renderer seems to be faster as well, but it still stinks of a bad Carbon port (i.e. messy dialog boxes, and Preferences appear in two places).

Crashes with any file containing Type 1 fonts. Bad sign.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    hey BuonRotto,

based on your posts it seems as if you are in the architecture field. I'm planning to major in architecture next year and if you have some time I'd love to ask you a few questions about your experience and stuff....

so... email or pm me if you get a chance...

thanks

:-)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Sorry for the off-topic bump. Don't know if you got my e-mail, applenut, but I've turned on my PMs if you want to discuss, plus my e-mail should work too. I just have to remember to check my PMs...