stuffit takes 7 mins for 140 mb to unstuff?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
on my iMac 1Ghz! How can this be. On a PC ZIP unzips this in 20 seconds? Is the G4 Mac OS X that slow or is there another problem?

Regards,

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Stuffit is always slower than ZIP or RAR on my PCs so it hard to tell if there is a problem. In any case, I think stuffit is crap. I hate that you can't open archives to see what is in them, and you cannot add or delete from existing archives like ZIP or RAR. I think the Mac market would love an alternative to stuffit that can open all types of file formats, have a faster engine, and browse archive content.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

In any case, I think stuffit is crap. I hate that you can't open archives to see what is in them, and you cannot add or delete from existing archives like ZIP or RAR. I think the Mac market would love an alternative to stuffit that can open all types of file formats, have a faster engine, and browse archive content.

Ummm sure you can mostly.

If you have Stuffit Deluxe it's been possible to browse and edit sit files for years and with the latest version you can do the same with zip. RARs you can't but who really needs to?