Problem deleting users

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I created a few too many users on my mac, and so then, logically, I log in as Root, navigate to the accounts prefpane, and click 'delete user'. A little box pops up, asking for my confirmation in the deletion, and after I click 'Okay', I hear the processor crunch and a little progress bar displays that the user is being deleted. But when I see the list of users in the Accounts prefpane, the user that I supposedly deleted is still there. I tryed to delete the user numerous times, switching the admin priveledges of the user off, etc. I look in the /users/deleted user/ folder, and I see about 15 .dmg icons, each one from my attempts. Is there a surefire way of deleting users via Terminal? Any help would be dandy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I won't even say how good it is to log in as root. maybe brad can help your mind...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I DID log in as Root. I thought that I made that clear in my first post on this thread.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I was sarcastic! Logging in as root is the stupidest thing you could have done.

But, for your problem... restart, and go in the user pane with your normal admin account. If the other users are still there, do this:

Deleting your Cache:

Deleting your cache may be necessary if you experience any of the following: [list=a][*]you have more than one of the same preference panel in your System Preferences[*]CD's, DVD's and HD's don't mount properly or don't even show up[*]Applications behave strange[*]etc.[/list=a] Delete everything in ~/Library/Caches/, where '~' is your home folder.

Deleting your cache isn't dangerous; it only deletes the cache, ie. things who are stored there so that an application has faster access to it, or because it needs to store some things.

Quit the SysPrefs before, then open them again after you cleared the cache.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

I was sarcastic! Logging in as root is the stupidest thing you could have done.

But, for your problem... restart, and go in the user pane with your normal admin account. If the other users are still there, do this:

Deleting your Cache:

Deleting your cache may be necessary if you experience any of the following: [list=a][*]you have more than one of the same preference panel in your System Preferences[*]CD's, DVD's and HD's don't mount properly or don't even show up[*]Applications behave strange[*]etc.[/list=a] Delete everything in ~/Library/Caches/, where '~' is your home folder.

Deleting your cache isn't dangerous; it only deletes the cache, ie. things who are stored there so that an application has faster access to it, or because it needs to store some things.

Quit the SysPrefs before, then open them again after you cleared the cache.

What does root do that is bad in terms of deleting users?

Personally I always just log in as root and never bother creating users on my Powerbook. It is much easier to not have to worthy if files can be deleted or not. Also it makes using my computer much more exciting since one wrong click can ruin the computer. For the gambling type their is no other way to go other than root.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I have two accounts (non administrator) that I have tried to delete. No luck. They keep showing up on the login screen with the other 4 users.

Have deleted the entire cache from my home folder Library/Cache.

Any more advice? 10.2.8.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Never mind. Found answer somewhere else.

Had to open Applications>Utilities/NetInfomanager.

Click on lock. Type in password. Select user name(s) you want to delete. Hit delete. Click on lock. Quit Netinfomanager.

Now the accounts are gone.

This is not the mac way of doing things. Hope this is fixed in panther.