CRAP! project due, OS X blue-screened, no Drive 10, stores closed for Easter!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Oy vey.

I'm totally boned here I do believe...

I'm doing some important mock-ups tonight.

My iBook didn't restart correctly after an intentional reboot.

Found Jag install disc 1 and booted off that.

Ran Disk Utilities.

It said "invalid node structure".

I hit 'repair' and it ran, said everything was fixed.

Verified drive and problem still exists.

I tried booting the iBook into target mode and transferring everything over to my trusty Blue & White via firewire, but when I tried hooking the 'book up to my Dad's iMac the warning dialogue popped up onscreen insisting that a firewire drive had been removed improperly even though I had actually just hooked it up TO the iMac. Needless to say the 'book's HD is acting el loco.

Booting into single-user mode (or whatever it is, the terminal mode) is weird...wouldn't even let me issue the "reboot" command...well, it let me, but it wouldn't do it. I don't know all the fsck commands, but if the b-trees are jumbled I suspect that THAT is the biggest problem....does fsck make those kinds of repairs?

Anyway.

All the stores are closed, from the Atlanta Apple Store down to the CompUSA's and the MicroCenter. It's Easter weekend and I'm totally unsure of their Sunday hours tomorrow.

Is there anything that anyone can suggest to run to help repair the b-tree issues that this drive is experiencing WITHOUT using Micromat's Drive 10 application?

Gah.

And they said I'd never need another disk utility again.....

Anyway, look forward to everyone's help.

Or some whiskey.

Just damn.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    so I booted up holding down CMD-S and enter into the terminal line interface...it tells me that the device is mounted read-only, and if I want to make modifications to files I need to run:

/sbin/fsck -y

and THEN

/sbin/mount -uw /

when I do the first one it returns this:

** /dev/rdisk0s5

** Root file system

** Checking HFS Plus volume.

** Checking Extents Overflow file.

** Checking Catalog file.

disk0s5: 0x8 (UNDEFINED).

Invalid node structure

(4,172)

So, this is the same thing as running the disk repair utility in OS X huh?

With this I see that I get an address on the actual HD as to where the node structure is blitzed....
  • Reply 2 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are you sure thats where it ends? I mean, does it spit out an error message or does it say "file system was modified"

if it says that run fsck again until you don't see that message...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Hey there pickle faeries! Something to inspire you....

• Reply 4 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member

where do you people come up with these things?!

must be a fun job...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

All the stores are closed, from the Atlanta Apple Store down to the CompUSA's and the MicroCenter. It's Easter weekend and I'm totally unsure of their Sunday hours tomorrow.

Carracho.

That's all I've got to say.

Seriously,

you're in need

and you can buy it on Monday

to keep the karma police at bay.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Wufff....I'm a big no-piracy person but dammit, I've obtained an OS X copy of Drive 10 as a disk image to my OS 9.0 machine...but it must be some kind of OS X image because both Disk Copy and Toast Titanium don't "see" the file to do anything with it.

I'll go back and check for a different version....but man, this is uncharted territory for me...I -think- I can figure out how to make a bootable CD and burn and everything....just not sure.

I can't wait to buy the real app on Monday. Whichever magazine article said that this software wasn't necessary with OS X's new setup can look me up for an angry retort. If anybody else has comments/suggestions please post away!

Still.....what bad timing for this iBook. When a 15" AL powerbook hits the street I'll be looking to buy that baby and retire this little machine.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The other thing you can do - buy DiskWarrior from Alsoft's website. Then burn it to an OS 9 bootable CD. Then fix your issue. That's what I did. But obviously you need access to a working CD burning Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alex_kac

The other thing you can do - buy DiskWarrior from Alsoft's website. Then burn it to an OS 9 bootable CD. Then fix your issue. That's what I did. But obviously you need access to a working CD burning Mac.

I don't want to scare you, drewprops, but there of course is the possibility that the file structure/catalog files on your HD could be so screwed that not even DW can fix it. I had that same problem on my main OS X disk, a 60 GB HD. Still, I recommend DW just the same.

Here's to hoping you made backups... \
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well, this one's likely a goner.

Lost four days' work, and possibly a lot more.

I'll take it to some guys here in town and get them to recover as much as they can and install me a 40Gb drive in the iBook while they're at it.

Some notes to anyone else who pulls up this thread in the future and has a similar situation where they need to go on the net and get an advanced copy of Drive 10 before they can get to the store to pay for their hardcopy version (hint hint)....

To get Drive 10 to boot you need to put it on a bootable CD which is apparently a little tougher than it used to be on OS 9.x and before.

I found a neat little app called "BootCD" which basicallly does the work for you (for OS X). The website is called Charles Soft and the link to BootCD is on that front page.

Now I can only hope that the guys at this company can restore as much of the old data as possible to the new drive. I shudder to find out what it will cost to replace....I just don't have the time (or the energy now) to try and do it myself.

Anyway, thanks to all for your useful suggestions!