Cube Upgrade: Powerlogix Powerforce 100 or 233?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was looking into upgrading my G4 Cube (500 Mhz) and I've decided to go with Powerlogix upgrade cards. Until recently, the 1.2 GHz Powerforce G4 100 was what I was going to purchase, but now Powerlogix has come out with a S233 card that is $10 cheaper at the same speed.

According to Powerlogix, both processor upgrades use the same G4 chips: the 7451 or the 7455 (odd that they don't say which one, specifically). I haven't been able to find any differences mentioned between the two cards on Powerlogix's site.

Of note is that the S233 card doesn't have a fan, so you have to purchase it separately from the processor upgrade if you own a Cube. Does anyone know if there are any other differences between the two cards?

Gamrin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I'd not go with the 233. There are many reports of troubles. For best info go to http://www.cubeowner.com

End of Line
  • Reply 2 of 4
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    ISTR the 233s for Cubes have been pulled anyway. The 100s definitely work.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    praxispraxis Posts: 30member
    7451 is for the 800mhz upgrades and the 7455 for the 1ghz and 1,2ghz. do NOT buy the 233 series unless you are getting the 800mhz. as you will read on cubeowner, there are problems with the 1 and 1,2 233 series. might i suggest you take a look at sonnet's 1,2 revision b?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I check cubeowner every once in a while, but I missed their comments on the 233. I'll dig deeper for the info.