Nov 2002 Ibook Power adapter troubles?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone....

So I am a little frustrated right now with my 12" ibook that I purchased in Nov 2002 (800 MHz edition) because my power adapter has failed for the second time.

It failed the first time about a month ago and just failed again tonight. I went to an apple store and they gave me a replacement one. It worked fine until now. I had the adapter and laptop packed away in a bag for the entire weekend, I just returned home and the adapter does not show a visual indicator or charge.

So is anyone else having this problem also? Is there something I am doing incorrectly? This is my first Mac, and the impression I got from apple is that their hardware is quality. I am taking the utmost care of the laptop and hardware accessories. I dont plug it in to a surge strip or UPS.

Well I hope that my apple store has these in stock so I can go get my third one tomorrow. Any tips or experience would be greatly appreciated.

--- To the mods --- if I posted in the wrong forum my apologies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Sorry to hear about your troubles... and yes, this is a Current Hardware topic, so I'll move it there. No worries.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well you said you dont use a surge protector... while i doubt that is the cause... it certainly is possible... has anything else in your house that is sensitive to electric currents failed lately? any idea on WHY the cord failed?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

well you said you dont use a surge protector... while i doubt that is the cause... it certainly is possible... has anything else in your house that is sensitive to electric currents failed lately? any idea on WHY the cord failed?

I dont use a surge protector because applecare support said the power adapter does not and should not be plugged into one (i dont know either way, just following their directions), that i should just plug it directly in to the wall. I have tried other things in the same outlets as the power adapter and they work ( a lamp and stereo ). I have nothing else that has failed. i dont unplug the power adapter from the wall much. i charge up at my house 95% of the time. i dont know why it failed.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I've never had any problems and this is my first mac as well so I'm sorry, but I really can't help you here. The only thing that happens to mine is get really hot-never failed though.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hi everybody. i went to two apple stores today to get a new power adapter. The mac genius that worked with me has had this same problem with her ibook, and she said that "quite a few" people have also had the same problem.

i checked the model numbers of the old power adapter and the new one to see if there was a new build/version and the new adapter has a higher model (?) number. so maybe there is something wrong with these and they are working to resolve it. i dont know. its just frustrating as heck.

they had no advice on use or what could possibily cause this - other than the previously stated things. well lets see if i get another 2 months out of this one. Thanks guys.