Multiple Monitors

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Dad has a giant 21" Apple CRT display which is sitting under his desk unused, it was stolen a year or two ago and then dropped when the police car arrived, there is some damage to the base, and the front panel around the screen, but it apparently works fine.

I already have a 17" monitor connected to my G4 at home and if we can get this giant monitor home and onto a desk, I would like to create an extended desktop.

1) is there anywhere near south london that could carry out repairs on this monitor (although these aren't crucial)

2) will my computer support the extended desktop

3) where do I start, I have an ATI Rage Pro 128, would I be right in thinking that this has one DVI, and one VGA port? I may upgrade soon to the ATI Radeon 9000 though. Obviously I will need adapters or cables, but what will I need to buy and how will I go about connecting two monitors at once?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You can get DVI->VGA adapters, they're not too expensive. I don't believe the Rage 128 supports multiple monitors, but the 9000 does (it has a DVI and a VGA, or ADC and DVI if Apple OEM model). Just plug the monitors into the card and the computer will detect them, pretty straight forward.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    yep, just get a card that supports dual monitors, plug them in and start the computer. simple. easy. fun!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    EDIT: ignore this
  • Reply 4 of 5
    According to the Apple QE PDF:

"On cards with 16MB of video memory, Quartz

Extreme is not supported in the extended desktop

mode of multiple-display configurations. Quartz

Extreme is supported in video mirroring mode."

The ATI Radeon 8500 has 64mb, so should it be okay to run QE on both monitors?

Both monitors have VGA connectors, the 8500 has one DVI and one VGA port, to plug both in I'm guessing I'll have to buy a DVI to VGA adapter..

Andrew
  • Reply 5 of 5
    IS the Radeon 9000 any more powerful than the Radeon 8500, or does it just have different connectors?

Andrew