organizing songs in iTunes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When i was a PC user (about a week ago) i used musicmatch jukebox and i could highlite all my songs that i had (ripped from CD, downloaded from internet etc.) that didnt have the correct names/artist name/album names and musicmatch would look it all up for me and organize it into folders by artist name... is there a way i can do that in itunes? im new to macs but ill learn fast

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    I believe what you need to do is go to the "Advanced" menu in iTunes, and then "Get CD Track Names" (after selecting the items you want).

Or, at least I think thats what your after.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    If that is what I'm after, it's not working, I get an error msg that says "CDDB Information is not available for any of these items".

There must be some other way to organize songs into artist folders then by doing it manually..

Thanks in advance

Logan
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    If The songs have the correct tags iTunes can arrange then in your music folder into subfolders organized by artist, you can turn this on by going to the iTunes Preferences, clicking Advanced, and selecting 'Keep Music Folder Organized' or something to that effect. As far as getting the track names from CDDB, it's kind of picky. If the track isn't the same length as the recorded version it may have problems, if it's too underground/unheard of it may not be in the database, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Were getting warmer. Like in MusicMatch, I wanted the program to look up all the tags for my songs so i didn't painstakingly have to do it myself. Back to the drawing board.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I think this only works on full CDs. I've never seen any software which can take a single (downloaded) track and convert to full track information. How does it know just from the file what song it is?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by westonm

I believe what you need to do is go to the "Advanced" menu in iTunes, and then "Get CD Track Names" (after selecting the items you want).

Or, at least I think thats what your after.

you have to do this one album at a time...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Last two posts are correct. The CDDB only looks up the info when you have a CD inserted.

From your other thread, it appears that you lost the ID3 tags (which hold the artist & album info) when copying your files from your PC over the network.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Last two posts are correct. The CDDB only looks up the info when you have a CD inserted.

If you have a full CD ripped and in a playlist you can highlight those tracks and look them up, you don't always need the disc in.