SpyMac: New Apple Accounting Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I looked, looked, and looked to see if this had been posted yet, so I apologize if I missed it.

SpyMac reports the following:

Quote:

Apple is said to be completing development on a new home accounting application that will be sold and bundled with other office products.

Whether or not the package will be distributed as "iWorks" is unknown, but both AppleWorks and Keynote will be included at a discounted price.

Said to be tentatively priced at US$250, Apple hopes to gain further independence from Microsoft with the low-cost and feature-packed suite. Other rumored components of the upcoming package include spreadsheet and database applications.

The accounting application's main focus will be to "manage your budget and analyze your spending habits," and will no doubt see tight integration with other Apple solutions.

"Later this year" is the only timeframe mentioned.

The price seems a bit high for a home accounting application, especially when considering the options out there.

theFly

Fly on the Mac

www.flyonthemac.com

Rumors You Can Bet On

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    $250 for the *suite*, not the accounting app.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

$250 for the *suite*, not the accounting app.

D'oh! Of course. I read the whole article, I swear I did.

theFly
  • Reply 3 of 9
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Already being discussed in the TS reports Appleworks out iWorks in thread.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Kinda spooky... the first Apple made software I won't be buying.... (hum... next thing ya know they'll be making Apple Expander) their OWN stufitt product....
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Try Mariner instead.

Cost ? zero $'s

• Reply 6 of 9
    Some time ago, I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly) that Apple would come out with a word-processing application, that would be called "Document". In a few years maybe we'll see MS Office dissapear from our mac desktops.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Some time ago, I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly) that Apple would come out with a word-processing application, that would be called "Document". In a few years maybe we'll see MS Office dissapear from our mac desktops.

As I recall, that rumor started at ThinkSecret. There is speculation that a whole iWorks package as talked about in other threads of the forum are forthcoming.

The issue with an accounting application is strange in itself. As poined out, Bill Campbell (CEO of Quicken) sits on the board of directors at Apple, so he would certainly know what Apple's up to.

That would indicate one of two things: a) Apple isn't working on a program that's going to compete against Quicken, or b) Quicken is going to stop making Quicken for the Mac in short order, letting Apple's App fill in the gap.

Personally, I'd love to see a spreadsheet App from Apple which is a rewrite of Improv. That was a sweet little spreadsheet.

Add to that software, what I'll call SuperTemplates. SuperTemplates are actually plug-in apps, so when you launch the program, you can choose a template for a "checkbook" and it includes a lot of the functionality of Quicken, with the spreadsheet backend. You get the the functionality of a checkbook program, without having to deal with setting it up in spreadsheets.

Well, just thinking about it, if this program were on Windows, it'd probably be called Access. :-)

theFly

Fly on the Mac

www.flyonthemac.com

Rumors You Can Bet On
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i do hope that apple makes some sort of easy personal accounting software (even just a digital checkbook and account balance handler), and maybe something with tax filing capabilities. living in canada, we just finished our taxes, and quicktax for mac is a fuggin' joke. absolutely dead to me. their requirements on the box are misleading, still runs in classic (so if you're a novice user not used to printing from classic, get ready to have some fun...), etc.

i don't think apple needs to make a consumer spreadsheet, just apps that do what consumers use spreadsheets for -- home inventory (hook it into iphoto), bill payment (getting addresses from address book), etc.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i don't think apple needs to make a consumer spreadsheet, just apps that do what consumers use spreadsheets for -- home inventory (hook it into iphoto), bill payment (getting addresses from address book), etc.

Apple should continue on the open source path it seems to be following and make an industrial strength office package using the OpenOffice codebase - not spend too much time messing about with niche applications that might satisfy a small segment of the market.

If they are going to build an office suite (which I think they should do), they need to blow the socks off the competition. The economics look attractive - Apple sells 3 million Macs per year - if 25% were to purchase a fully compatible MS Office productivity suite at $150, it would add over $100m to the revenue line, excluding revenue from future upgrades. Compare this with Office at $499.95.

Also, with OSX and Safari Apple has taken opensource to a new level - it gets the best of both worlds by minimising its own R&D investment AND creates applications with fabulous UIs. iOffice is a no-brainer.