Apple to give Bluetooth to all Macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
How soon will it be that Apple puts Bluetooth as standard equipment on all Macs. Is it more obvious for this to happen on laptops first? Or are the iMacs and towers going to get it, too.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    I don't think airport is very practical for communication between your imac and your iphone, neither does usb and firewire so bluetooth is a good option.

And to make the iphone or whatever what ipda apple will build a succes they need bluetooth...

sorry, irda has already been killed in the procces

a couple of years ago

no options left
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    As I previously noted here:

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002395"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002395</a>;

Apple has put a 3-5 week wait on Airport card unless you add one as a BTO option on new Macs.

Could Steve be planning to announce a Airport/Bluetooth combo replacement at Apple Expo Paris. Maybe.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    well bluetooth is for shortrange maybe an apple airport/bluetooth card if thats even possible unless its just built in to all macs which would make sense if something like iphone came out. besides osx can do alot with bluetooth
  • Reply 4 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    An interesting link:

<a href="http://www.80211-planet.com/news/article/0,,1481_1014301,00.html"; target="_blank">http://www.80211-planet.com/news/article/0,,1481_1014301,00.html</a>;

[quote]

"Yesterday Intersil announced agreements for dual-mode chipsets, combining 802.11b technology with other wireless technologies. In the first agreement, GTRAN Wireless will take Intersil's 802.11b Prism technology and combine it with CDMA or GPRS wireless support on a single client card. In the second agreement -- first announced at Microsoft's WinHEC 2002 show and demonstrated by Microsoft officials -- Intersil and Silicon Wave unveiled Blue802 technology, which combines 802.11b and Bluetooth wireless technologies on a single platform."

<hr></blockquote>

An even better link:

<a href="http://www.siliconwave.com/Blue802.html"; target="_blank">http://www.siliconwave.com/Blue802.html</a>;

[quote]

About Blue802? Technology

Silicon Wave and Intersil have developed Blue802? Technology, a unique collaborative real-time communications interface at the MAC layer that is transparent to the notebook PC or portable device user. Data can be transmitted without interference while optimizing system throughput, range, and responsiveness. This enables Bluetooth applications such as mouse, keyboard, printing, file transfer and portable device synchronization to run at the same time the user is connected to the network over Wi-Fi (IEEE802.11b).

<hr></blockquote>

Will Apple make use of it? Beats me but this show it can happen.

Dave

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    So if they make a BlueTooth/AirPort card (BlueAir card?) do you think that it would work in older Macs with AirPort slots? The card wouldn't have to be much bigger, but would the inerface be different?

--PB
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Crud. I'm drooling on my keyboard reading about an Airport/Bluetooth card. I've been eyeing these Bluetooth cell phones, like Ericsson's T68i. It's completely unnecessary, but to surf from anywhere by just having a Bluetooth phone nearby-- ooooooooohhh.

Oops. Pardon me.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by PosterBoy:

<strong>So if they make a BlueTooth/AirPort card (BlueAir card?) do you think that it would work in older Macs with AirPort slots? The card wouldn't have to be much bigger, but would the interface be different?

--PB</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, there should be no reason why a new Airport card wouldn't work in existing Macs. Apple's Airport connector is just another peripheral interface like PCI. It should work with any device that conforms to the proper size and power restrictions. The only issue would be with the built-in antennas. I don't know if they can broadcast signals other than 802.11b.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Son of Pismo:

<strong>

Yeah, there should be no reason why a new Airport card wouldn't work in existing Macs. Apple's Airport connector is just another peripheral interface like PCI. It should work with any device that conforms to the proper size and power restrictions. The only issue would be with the built-in antennas. I don't know if they can broadcast signals other than 802.11b.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless I'm wrong... Apples 'Airport Connector' is simply a PCMCIA slot.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Son of Pismo:

The only issue would be with the built-in antennas. I don't know if they can broadcast signals other than 802.11b.
    <hr></blockquote>

The size of the antenna is a function of the frequency it uses. Since 802.11b and Bluetooth are both 2.4GHz, the antenna would be compatible.

[quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

Unless I'm wrong... Apples 'Airport Connector' is simply a PCMCIA slot.

<hr></blockquote>

It looks like a PCMCIA (er, PC-card) slot, but Apple tells you not to shove their Airport cards in PCMCIA slots. You try it, and tell me how it turns out.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>

It looks like a PCMCIA (er, PC-card) slot, but Apple tells you not to shove their Airport cards in PCMCIA slots. You try it, and tell me how it turns out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can tell you why they say it... It's because the airport card doesn't have an antenna of its own (just the connector for that cable) so putting it in a normal PC-Card (pcmcia) slot wouldn't do anything and it might be against some crazy FCC rule. With stuff like that the company has to caution users not to use the card in areas where it wasn't fcc tested AND certified.

I'm pretty sure it (the 'slot') is a standard PC-Card slot since you can take NON-airport branded 802.11 cards and use them just fine and those cards were intended to be used in WinTel PC-Card slots.

Dave

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    hey you could surf any where you have access but it would cost you money. cell phone companies are charging based on the amount of data that you download. for example for sprint is an extra 10 dollars for 2 MB on what ever phone plan you have. I dont know about you but i visit a lot of graphics intensive sites. with flash animations etc. so 2 mb would not last too long for me in a month.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by myahmac:

hey you could surf any where you have access but it would cost you money. cell phone companies are charging based on the amount of data that you download. for example for sprint is an extra 10 dollars for 2 MB on what ever phone plan you have. I dont know about you but i visit a lot of graphics intensive sites. with flash animations etc. so 2 mb would not last too long for me in a month.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, with GPRS you pay by the amount of data. What I really want the connection for is to check email. Surfing is just (expensive) icing, and adds a "golly" factor when showing off i/TiBooks.