Quickie: shorcut to the desktop?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a way to minimize all windows, when I click the desktop? (Like clicking on it, while pressing something on the keyboard). I think I read it somewhere but I can't find it anymore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Shift-option clicking on any application (its window, its dock icon, whatever) hides all other applications. So just option-shift-click the desktop, and you'll be free of everything except Finder windows. You can also use a simple option-click to hide the current application upon switching to the new one.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Alternatively, Option-click the Finder's Dock icon: hides every other application.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    No that only hides the one you're currently in. Just tried it from Safari with Safari and iChat open... only Safari was hidden, iChat stayed.

You can also get access to everything on the desktop by dragging the "Desktop" folder from your Home folder into your dock. Then you just click it, and you have the contents of the desktop right there. But it's not as nice as hiding everything.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No that only hides the one you're currently in. Just tried it from Safari with Safari and iChat open... only Safari was hidden, iChat stayed.

Try an option-command-click on the Finder icon. You should be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Try an option-command-click on the Finder icon. You should be pleasantly surprised.

Hey, thanks! That's cool! Also works when you option-command-click the desktop.

Have you noticed that when you shift-option-double click the top bar of a window, it minimizes in slow-mo? I didn't know that, but looks very cool.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Option isn't necessary, just hold down the shift key when the Genie effect plays and it'll go in slow motion. That includes typing command-M, pressing the yellow button, or double clicking the title bar (unless you have Windowshade installed). It also works with opening and closing Finder windows, although you have to shift-command-O because shift-double clicking an icon just selects it and unselects it.