NFL Draft this weekend

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone out there watching the NFL Draft this weekend? I'm curious to know where Miami HB Willis McGahee will end up. I'm guessing Oakland Raiders with the last pick in the first round.

Hoping for a good draft for my Cowboys.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I think that the Steelers are courting him
  • Reply 2 of 17
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Anyone out there watching the NFL Draft this weekend? I'm curious to know where Miami HB Willis McGahee will end up. I'm guessing Oakland Raiders with the last pick in the first round.

Hoping for a good draft for my Cowboys.

McGahee doesn't make it to the Raiders. He gets taken by New England.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    But there is that injury issue, his ligaments . . . or some body part like that, had to be completely reconstructed . . . he might not be the first teams choice because of it . .

by the way anybody know of a good site with the teams listed in rounds and possible picks etc?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

by the way anybody know of a good site with the teams listed in rounds and possible picks etc?

ESPN.com is usually pretty good. They have their whole draft central thing, along with mock drafts and gets updated real time on draft day. They have team pages to see who they drafted, and you can view prospects by school, position, etc.

-------

Pittsburgh or New England? Could happen. Specially when you consider that Jerome Bettis' injuries keep getting worse and that the Pats haven't had a real RB since Curtis Martin.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    McGahee ended up in Buffalo! Totally unexpected.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [gloat]

4 Penn State players chosen early: Kennedy, Haynes, Johnson & Johnson.

[/gloat]
  • Reply 7 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    wow, looks like MN actually got decent picks this year, although the time problem looked bad. let's see if they pay him for the #9 or #7 pick.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Makes you wonder how they lost four games, to the four decent teams that they played.

Bryant Johnson is solid but he still went a little high.

Larry Johnson will be at best an average NFL running back and a below average one for a first rounder. But perhaps he will do a little better than predecessors like Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas, and Kijana Carter. Still, worst 2000 yard rusher Evar!

Let's just hope that Mills can return to form rather than lobbing whirleybirds all over the place the way he was in the Auburn game. But at least they catch a break on the schedule this year, not having to play Michigan, who has beaten them six years in a row and getting tOSU at home IIRC.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Mr. Palmer can kiss his future in the NFL bye-bye!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    harp79harp79 Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Makes you wonder how they lost four games, to the four decent teams that they played.

Well two of them were OT losses with some really, really bad calls at really, really inopportune times in the game. All of the loses were by less than a TD.

Quote:

Larry Johnson will be at best an average NFL running back and a below average one for a first rounder. But perhaps he will do a little better than predecessors like Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas, and Kijana Carter. Still, worst 2000 yard rusher Evar!

...and Curt Warner and Franco Harris. Remember, Penn State has had more first-round running backs than any other school. Some flopped.

I think LJ will do fine. He was the hardest running the NCAA, bar none. Playing in KC will suck though.

Calling him the worst 2000 yard rusher evar isnt much of a criticism. Remember, Penn State plays in the Big Ten, which maybe the toughest conference to run in, being known for its size.

Quote:

Let's just hope that Mills can return to form rather than lobbing whirleybirds all over the place the way he was in the Auburn game. But at least they catch a break on the schedule this year, not having to play Michigan, who has beaten them six years in a row and getting tOSU at home IIRC.

I think he'll be fine. They've been working on strengthening Mills' elbow in the off season to work out the tendenitis. Besides, Robinson has been steadily improving at QB, so it'll be interesting to see how this season plays out between the two of them.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by harp79

[B]Well two of them were OT losses with some really, really bad calls at really, really inopportune times in the game. All of the loses were by less than a TD.

But of course, PSU fans always skip over the fact that the Iowa game would not have gone to overtime were it not for the horrible call on the PSU fumble which was returned for a touchdown. And preceding the missed call against Michigan on the sidelines was an equally horrid catch call on a pass that clearly should have been ruled incomplete. Paterno only made it worse with his absurd suggestions that the officiating was biased. Combined with the Phillips saga he is further undermining his legacy of integrity. Too bad.

But you are right in so far as while PSU did lose to the good teams they played, they also gave very competitive efforts in all of those games. Save maybe Iowa where they were getting their ass kicked pretty much until the last ten minutes or so of the game when Iowa's horrid secondary play saved them and got them to OT.

Quote:

...and Curt Warner and Franco Harris. Remember, Penn State has had more first-round running backs than any other school. Some flopped.

Warner was 20 years ago, Harris 30-35.

The reality is that PSU RBs have been a dud in modern years. That doesn't of course mean that Johnson will be a bust as well. But there are other reasons to think so as well. His rushing numbers were inordinately stratified when you compare what he did against MI, tOSU, IA and Aub. You would always expect that the numbers would go down when playing better competition but the imbalance in his case was extraordinarily large. Reminiscent of Ron Dayne's career in how he beat up on the Sisters of the Poor but did not show like a Playa against the best. Furthermore, he doesn't do any particular thing well. He is not a burner, he's not all that shifty and he isn't a bruiser. Now having said all that, I don't think he will be god awful, but I just don't see him as ever being a consistent pro-bowler or even a feature back on a Very Good team.

Quote:

I think LJ will do fine. He was the hardest running the NCAA, bar none. Playing in KC will suck though.

Quote:

Calling him the worst 2000 yard rusher evar isnt much of a criticism.

Well it is a small club. The point was not so much that he was the worst but that the stats were misleading as to how good he was in college.

Quote:

Remember, Penn State plays in the Big Ten, which maybe the toughest conference to run in, being known for its size.

I don't know about that. Reputation lags behind reality there to some extent. The Big Ten is more of a bruiser conference more so by orientation and philosophy than physical attributes.

The Big Ten was not filled with good defenses this year. Iowa had a good run defense paired with a mediocre pass defense, and Ohio State had an excellent all around defense. Other than that there were no good defensive teams in the Big Televen last year. Wisconsin was surprisingly porous, Michigan was merely average on D, Purdue was OK but I don't think PSU played Purdue IIRC, IN was horrid, NW was smoked by everyone and MSU didn't even bother trying half of the time. MN and IL don't do much for me either. NE was not up to snuff and as one expected neither were Central Florida, Virginia and Louisiana-Whatever. Although Auburn was a fairly good defense as well so I guess that makes 3 good defenses. Anyway, I'm not convinced it was all that hard to run against any of the teams that Johnson was able to run effectively against.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Yeah...rip on the Bengals..it's all fun and good...well, Marvin Lewis is in town and the owner is taking a backseat. I expect good things from the Bengals in years to come. I'm saying this as a Chargers fan who doesn't particularly like the Bengals as well...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Steelers ended up working on their weak spot in the secondary with USC's Troy Polamalu.

I'm moving away from Pittsburgh to the midwest . . . anybody know how I can gaurantee to be able to watch the Steelers play every Sunday without paying an arm and a leg?

I don't really want to get cable for everything . . .(if I will be able to get it where I'm moving?) but I'LL NEED MY STEELER FOOTBALL!!!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Steelers ended up working on their weak spot in the secondary with USC's Troy Polamalu.

I'm moving away from Pittsburgh to the midwest . . . anybody know how I can gaurantee to be able to watch the Steelers play every Sunday without paying an arm and a leg?

I don't really want to get cable for everything . . .(if I will be able to get it where I'm moving?) but I'LL NEED MY STEELER FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

I wish the NFL Sunday Ticket was on cable but it's directv only unfortunately.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

wow, looks like MN actually got decent picks this year, although the time problem looked bad. let's see if they pay him for the #9 or #7 pick.

I know! Let's hope the Vikes don't let first round troubles happen again next draft or this could become a tradition.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I'm sort of optimistic they will get things right this time. If you look at the Bengals' draft picks this year you could make a case about them having one of the best drafts leaguewide. Marvin Lewis will really make a difference. My crazy early prediction: 2006 SuperBowl, Bengals vs Cowboys.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

But of course, PSU fans always skip over the fact that the Iowa game would not have gone to overtime were it not for the horrible call on the PSU fumble which was returned for a touchdown.

PSU fans have the argument that that call wasn't in as critical a point in the game as the botched overtime call, thus PSU got screwed worse.

Quote:

And preceding the missed call against Michigan on the sidelines was an equally horrid catch call on a pass that clearly should have been ruled incomplete.

No it shouldn't have. At best it's debatable. There was no convincing evidence on the replays that shows Bryant Johnson *not* having control of that ball, so you go with the guy on the field. That call wouldn't have been turned over in the NFL.

Quote:

Paterno only made it worse with his absurd suggestions that the officiating was biased. Combined with the Phillips saga he is further undermining his legacy of integrity. Too bad.

Doubt it. Although historically, if you take a look at officiating during PSU/UM games with those officials, the balance is ridiculously in favor of UM. I could probably find you a link with the breakdown and statistics behind it...I think someone did the numbers.

Quote:

Save maybe Iowa where they were getting their ass kicked pretty much until the last ten minutes or so of the game when Iowa's horrid secondary play saved them and got them to OT.

It was the entire last quarter when PSU had wore them down and estabilished their offensive rhythm--something they'd been unable to do the first three quarters.

Quote:

Warner was 20 years ago, Harris 30-35.

The reality is that PSU RBs have been a dud in modern years.

And Penn State still has had more successful runningbacks than just about any college program in history...

Quote:

That doesn't of course mean that Johnson will be a bust as well. But there are other reasons to think so as well.

...like the fact that LJ had an only slightly better than average OL? I think the 7.8 yards per carry record is quite telling....that's all LJ. Your linemen aren't helping you 5 yards after the line of scrimmage. Time will tell...

Quote:

Well it is a small club. The point was not so much that he was the worst but that the stats were misleading as to how good he was in college.

At worst, he's the 9th most successful RB in NCAA history.

Quote:

I don't know about that. Reputation lags behind reality there to some extent. The Big Ten is more of a bruiser conference more so by orientation and philosophy than physical attributes.

The Big Ten was not filled with good defenses this year. Iowa had a good run defense paired with a mediocre pass defense, and Ohio State had an excellent all around defense. Other than that there were no good defensive teams in the Big Televen last year. Wisconsin was surprisingly porous, Michigan was merely average on D, Purdue was OK but I don't think PSU played Purdue IIRC, IN was horrid, NW was smoked by everyone and MSU didn't even bother trying half of the time. MN and IL don't do much for me either. NE was not up to snuff and as one expected neither were Central Florida, Virginia and Louisiana-Whatever. Although Auburn was a fairly good defense as well so I guess that makes 3 good defenses. Anyway, I'm not convinced it was all that hard to run against any of the teams that Johnson was able to run effectively against.

Regardless, the B10 isnt conference USA, it's not the MAC, its the B10. The B10 was a tough football conference this year evident by their 4-1(or was it 5-1) bowl record.