MacOS X Dock bug

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Open apps, like say iTunes, seem to forget they are open! The triangle won't appear underneath them and I can't control iTunes from the Dock. Very annoying. I haven't figured out the cause yet and so far I've only seen this happen to iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Never seen that happen here.

I have seen the opposite, though, where the triangle and icon will remain in the Dock even after quitting the app. A simple click on the icon clears it away.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've had that happen to me before too, also with iTunes. Try restarting, it worked for me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    One time I quit a startup app at just the right time and a random triangle got stuck in the dock with no icon above it. Like between the right-most application and the divider line.

I took a screenshot and will post it later if anyone's interested...

To get it back to normal I just killed the Dock process and when it reloaded all was well. Weird...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

One time I quit a startup app at just the right time and a random triangle got stuck in the dock with no icon above it. Like between the right-most application and the divider line.

I took a screenshot and will post it later if anyone's interested...

To get it back to normal I just killed the Dock process and when it reloaded all was well. Weird...

I've done that too. One time I was using IE to test out some applets I was using, and to clear the class cache, I needed to quit and relaunch the app multiple times. Once I did it too quickly and I ended up with an iconless triangle. I could even move it around to different places, and to get rid of it, I logged out.

I'm trying to remember the sequence of events to get it to appear, but I think I used the dock contextual menu to quit it, and before it quit, I clicked on it again (it wasn't a permanent app, so the icon faded away, and the triangle stayed). I think that was it, but it was a while ago.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Open apps, like say iTunes, seem to forget they are open! The triangle won't appear underneath them and I can't control iTunes from the Dock. Very annoying. I haven't figured out the cause yet and so far I've only seen this happen to iTunes.

I noticed that too, very rare I would say. For me it is solved with logout and re-login or killing the Dock with escapepod.