iMac 17" and svhs tv output

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My father bought the 17" iMac and the dvi->svhs adapter to view dvds on his tv. Using a scart connection with the svhs cable, the iMac recognizes that there is an external monitor, and allows the changing of display resolution etc, but no matter what (we tried ALL combinations, resolutions and 50/60Hz) it won't sync up correctly.

The best we can get is an off-sync b/w image showing part of the screen, but heavily interlaced and not usable at all.

Any hints? Is there a problem with the TV being too old to support the resolution changes etc? It's a philips tv probably about 5 years old with two scart connections.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Sounds like the TV can't accept S-Video (not S-VHS, that's a video recorder standard) inputs on the SCART socket: not uncommon, and nothing to do with the display resolution from the iMac.

Usually S-Video sockets are 9-pin DIN sockets on the front of the TV, indended to plug video cameras in for big-screen playback.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thepope

My father bought the 17" iMac and the dvi->svhs adapter to view dvds on his tv. Using a scart connection with the svhs cable, the iMac recognizes that there is an external monitor, and allows the changing of display resolution etc, but no matter what (we tried ALL combinations, resolutions and 50/60Hz) it won't sync up correctly.

The best we can get is an off-sync b/w image showing part of the screen, but heavily interlaced and not usable at all.

Any hints? Is there a problem with the TV being too old to support the resolution changes etc? It's a philips tv probably about 5 years old with two scart connections.

[NORWEGIAN] Hallo thepope, og velkommen til AI [/NORWEGIAN]

Have you tried with both scart connectors. Often only one of them accepts svhs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [nor]Og hei til deg og.[/nor]

We tried both scarts, and there was no difference. We also used a composite cable with a scart adapter, but that didn't work at all (iMac didn't find the tv).

I gather the tv is too old, then.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thepope

[nor]Og hei til deg og.[/nor]

We tried both scarts, and there was no difference. We also used a composite cable with a scart adapter, but that didn't work at all (iMac didn't find the tv).

I gather the tv is too old, then.

Maybe. If you have the manual try and find something about svhs there. Maybe the svhs -> scart adaptor is faulty.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    check your tv manual. often there will be a menu setting to switch the inputs between composite/s-video. if you don't switch, you'll either get no signal or perhaps a b/w image (that's happened to me before)