The iClock (and any other bluetooth ideas)

rokrok
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
here's what i want to see apple make...

a bluetooth-enabled clock (desk or wall), that syncs with your mac, which syncs with an internet time server.

i get SO sick of having to reset all of my clocks throughout the house at daylight savings time, and how they all get out of sync with each other by 5-7 minutes within months.

it's the simple ideas, i tell ya. hell, i'd buy five and throw out every clock i own. they probably thought minnesota mining and manufacturing was nuts for marketing little yellow pieces of paper with weak adhesive backing... then they became 3M and Post-It Notes. (okay, i have no idea if they own the patent or what - if i'm wrong, just let it go. my point is, small ideas that are cheap become household names if people buy a million of 'em)

'course, maybe apple would say "just buy an eMac for every room, and we'll make the Mac OS X clock with a full screen mode..."

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: rok ]

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I think this is more a product a 3rd party would produce!

I really could never see APPLE doing anything like this!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    [quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>I think this is more a product a 3rd party would produce!

I really could never see APPLE doing anything like this!</strong><hr></blockquote>

okay, fine. i don't care who makes it, but i'd still buy them over any other clock out there (well, except maybe beautiful precision timepieces, but i just need some decent clocks that sync correctly).

but i could see apple partnering with a company to produce a line of household wares that sync well with the household mac. and that's what i really care about.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    There is already $10 clocks out there that sync with central wireless transmitters. I think those here in Denmark sync with a "server" in Frankfurt.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    You're right, this would be a third party item. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000068IH3/qid=1030240018/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-7735535-0337455?s=electronics&n=507846"; target="_blank">Try this.</a>

This company is one of many that make radio controlled clocks which set themselves to a nearby radio signal synced with an atomic clock. I know they exist - granted they don't work well in metal structures like my school - which got them because they're too chip to fix the broken Simplex electric slave clocks which were closing in on being 40 years old...but these affordable radio controlled clocks do work and they don't require your Mac to do it!

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Dave Hagan ]

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Dave Hagan ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    <a href="http://www.junghans-watches.com/junghans/index.shtml"; target="_blank">junghans</a>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Just a USB dongle that syncs with the nearest radio clock would be so bloody useful. Do these things exist in PC land? I've got Macs out there running AV shows and stuff and keeping the clocks correct is a regular pain. It's often just not possible to set up an internet connection.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    what if it could also stream mp3's from itunes using Rendezvous? now that would be cool (assuming ur iClock/radio was within 30 feet of your mac, of course)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Sorry, Ive spent over 20hrs this weekend trying to make deadlines, so I'm a bit wired this AM.

When I clicked reply I didn't see the 'l' in the title and was like WTF. I guess it could still use BlueTooth tho.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, AI is FINALLY back online. nice to see my thread didn't vanish into the ether.

anyway, i guess i should change the title of the thread into "bluetooth ideas, anyone?" because it seems to me, looking from the outside in, that bluetooth is suffering from what usb suffered... lack of someone to really push it into the tech industry. i could see my bluetooth-enabled wristwatch syncing with my ibook, so when i land in california and switch settings for time zones, my watch switches too. or vice versa.

and then, when you get in your rental car (with bluetooth onboard), it checks the lil' hard drive on your watch, and loads the presets for your favorite radio stations on the car stereo for that city.

remember, from what i know, bluetooth's biggest advantages are that it is:

a. ) dirt-cheap (relatively speaking)

b.) super-small

so rather than having a strong central hub, you just need some strategically placed "links in the chain" that keeps all the info synced nicely... and that's when apple can shine with isync and your digital lifestyle...