Differences between Server and Jaguar

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What are the differences between the Server version of OS 10.2 and Jaguar?

Is it just the Admin tools, or is the actual OS different in some way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    They're essentially identical.

The Server version has been set up to provide more memory for kernel space tasks, (not recompiled, just some setting files that you can alter yourself) has all sorts of extra admin tools, and the GUI tools.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    so, if software works in 10.2 it should work fine under 10.2 Server?

I was thinking about setting up a home server on an iMac, and wanted to run Eye TV, and iTunes on it as well... kind of a media server.

<scepticism>

It should work, right?

</scepticism>

• Reply 3 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    You probably don't need Server to do that. Jaguar should work just fine for those tasks. Since iTunes(and probably also EyeTV) are built for Jaguar, it might be better to use Jaguar over Server.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Well, I wanted to use the Workgroup Manager function of OS X Server... store everything on the server. It would make sharing things between the computers in the house easier... I really like the centralized computing thing.

I've been trying to do it with Jaguar, but it doesn't quite work as seamlessly as I would like. I had about given up when I realized what I really wanted was a server.

The docs at the Apple site sound like what I want, but I don't have any experience with OS X Server, so if I'm not on the right track I'd welcome advice.

• Reply 5 of 13
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    watchdog daemon (restarts failed services on-the-fly)

Admin GUI tools (which are pretty nice)

Journalling is "permitted"

other stuff
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by twelve_labs

so, if software works in 10.2 it should work fine under 10.2 Server?

Er, yes, since it's *exactly* the same OS.

Just some apps are added to the Server version, and the kernel is told to handle memory slightly differently, but that is just a configuration file, not a compile-time option.

I do this myself, OS X Server at home to serve up files... and I have to tell you, it's overkill. Really. Jaguar will do it just fine. The Workgroup Manager? Er... overkill for a home LAN. *Especially* if your other computers are laptops. There's a whole suite of issues that crop up.

But yeah, it'll work.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

I do this myself, OS X Server at home to serve up files... and I have to tell you, it's overkill. Really. Jaguar will do it just fine. The Workgroup Manager? Er... overkill for a home LAN. *Especially* if your other computers are laptops. There's a whole suite of issues that crop up.

Poo... iBooks on an Airport network.

What are the issues you speak of?

I know Jaguar can share files, but you have to manually mount a disk on the desktop and then keep telling the system to save files there. I was under the impression that it was different with Server... that when you logged in, your Home directory lived on the server's drive and it was all rather seamless. Plus you could login from another computer and have all your prefs, desktop, and files follow you.

I know it's a bit of overkill, but you're talking about a guy who buys all of his kitchen stuff from a restaurant suppy store.

• Reply 8 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I was under the impression that it was different with Server... that when you logged in, your Home directory lived on the server's drive and it was all rather seamless. Plus you could login from another computer and have all your prefs, desktop, and files follow you.

I wouldn't recommend having homedirs on the server if you're using iBooks on an AirPort network.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

I wouldn't recommend having homedirs on the server if you're using iBooks on an AirPort network.

why not?

• Reply 10 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

why not?

Too slow, and what would you do when the iBook isn't at home?

When Mac OS X Server 10.0 was announced, the website had an icon with a suitcase, and they described something about synchronizing laptop homefolders with the server as far as I remember, but the feature never showed up.

Perhaps it will be in 10.3 - the rumors of Panther points that way.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Too slow, and what would you do when the iBook isn't at home?

To elaborate:

When you're on the road (or away from the house), you would get your local drive. When you're at home, you'd get the server drive. Over a wireless connection. Slooooow.

But wait, it gets worse... because NetInfo, the infrastructure that handles logins/home directories/etc, looks to the local machine *first*, and *then* off to a parent server, so you *always* get your local drive. It's backwards from what you'd want.

Quote:

When Mac OS X Server 10.0 was announced, the website had an icon with a suitcase, and they described something about synchronizing laptop homefolders with the server as far as I remember, but the feature never showed up.

Yup, this was precisely why I got it. No dice. Still waiting.

Until then, Jaguar is just as good as Server for home file sharing. Mount the drive on your laptop, then drag to your toolbar in a Finder window, or add to your Favorites. Clicking on it will then auto-log you in, mount it, the whole shebang. Very slick.

Or, you can do what I do which is to keep the same folder structures on server and laptop, then sync files from laptop -> server periodically using one of any number of utilities. The server becomes your backup, essentially. If you actually do work directly on the server, then you need to be careful, but I rarely sit down at it anymore.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Thank you gentlemen... y'all just saved me a lot of frustration and hair-pulling. Not to mention money.

I guess I'll just use Jaguar for now and wait and see what 10.3 Server brings.

Kickaha, do you recommend any syncing programs?

• Reply 13 of 13
    I use rsyncX, a command line tool, (although they have a GUI front end for it too, I find the raw CLI tool to be much more flexible and useful for me.)

Google for 'rsyncx' and you'll find it in a jiffy. It slices, it dices, it juliannes. (I also use it for incremental backups to multiple external FW drives, replacing that wretched Retrospect easily.)

Others use psync (another CLI tool), or one of a number of GUI based syncing tools. Versiontracker.com should have plenty if you search for 'sync'.