Help - Apple AI? iMessages, automatically selects and add photo?

Posted:
in iOS
This evening my iPhone (14 Pro Max) did something that I can't really believe and I need some validation that someone else has seen this. 

I'm running iOS 17.5.1 and I'm pretty sure that tonight iOS independently chose a photo to offer in response to a iMessage conversation with my wife.

To be clear... it didn't send it, but it did pick a contextually relevant photo, and add it to the iMessage chat box ready to be sent ... without me doing anything. 

The iMessage thread went like this...

ME: [added three pictures of my kid jumping into a lake]...

I notice a response from wife pop up on watch....
WIFE: "Any hockey pictures?"

I open iPhone to respond.... and find a hockey picture from earlier in the day already loaded into the iMessage thread ready to be sent. 

.. I absolutely DID NOT add the photo, it was done in the couple seconds between when I saw the notification of her message on my watch, and when I opened my phone to respond. 

Is this a thing? Does iMessage now automatically suggest photos to send in response to queries? 

I am a long time AppleInsider reader, and I count my self as a pretty knowledgable Apple guy (like, my first Mac was a 6100/66, I sold macs for about 8 years in an local authorized dealer and I had an extensive MacAddict magazine collection).... so, I feel like I should have known about this ability.  

Is this a thing?

Comments