PowerMac G4 (Graphite) will not restart

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 500MHz G4, running Mac OS 9.2.2. Every time an installer attempts to restart the computer, it freezes up. And oftentimes, it freezes up when I choose Restart from the Special Menu.

The computer has been having problems lately anyway, and I have recently reformatted the HD, and completely reinstalled the system. It no longer freezes on startup, but this problem lingers, which makes me think that it is a hardware problem.

The only peripherals that I have contected are an USB hub (Asante), USB floppy drive, USB SanDisk CompactFlash reader, USB keyboard, and USB mouse.

Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Do you still have this problem if you remove the USB hub and peripherals?

Other thing to check is memory.

How far into the boot up does it get before freezing?

How do you unfreeze it? Remove power from everything?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    It doesn't matter if the peripherials are connected or not.

And it never gets to the restart cycle. It freezes before it actually shuts down to restart. So what I end up doing is mashing the restart button on the front of the computer. It restarts fine then.

How do I go about checking the memory?

Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    You can use the Apple hardware test CD to check the ram. In addition you might try resetting the motherboard by pressing and holding (5seconds) the cuda button on the motherboard. Its a little red button near the PCI slots.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbon2

You can use the Apple hardware test CD to check the ram. In addition you might try resetting the motherboard by pressing and holding (5seconds) the cuda button on the motherboard. Its a little red button near the PCI slots.

I don't have one of these CDs for the Graphite G4. Will the one that came with my MDD work? (Graphite is OS 9, MDD is OS X)