iPhoto and importing movie clips from digital cameras

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Both image capture and iPhoto do an excellent job at importing photos from my digital camera. Great. But what if I want to import a movie clip I made with my camera?

Before you say "Use your DV camera if you want to make movies" know this... I carry my compact digital camera more often than my Sony PC110 mini-dv camera because its about half the size and takes excellent photos. Sometimes there are moments that I just want to capture a 30 or 90 second clip and only have the digital camera to do so. What then?

I'm pretty sure my digital camera only captures video as .avi, which is great if you are on windows but not so great if you own a mac.

I tried connecting the camera as a "DV" in iPhoto but it did not work. Anybody try to solve this issue?

With the iLife being so "interconnected" don't you think Apple should address this detail? Apple's partnership with Kodak is strong. It should not be hard to negotiate Kodak giving a .mov option to export files that would be compatible to import into iPhoto or iMovie, right?

Share your thoughts.

Arondale

www.arondale.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Moving this one to the Digital Hub...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    you didnt say what make of camera you have. my sony digital camera can take 15 sec of motion, and when i fire up iPhoto, the movies automatically also imported to disk, but not into iPhoto itself. (Maybe they are being automatically imported due to my setting on the camera.)

you are correct, they are imported however as .mov files.

has sony changed its format?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    what directory did the movie clip import to?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Image Capture downloads .avi movies from my Canon Digital Elph to my Movies folder just fine...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Eugene said it. Use Image Capture app to download .Avi files. Just select the 'download some..' button if you've got photos on as well. Quicktime should play them just fine.

If you want to edit them you can drag them into the clip window of iMovie3 and it'll convert them to DV files.