connect a Powerbook to a garmin GPS

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does somebody know if I can connect a garmin GPS to a powerbook?

On the garmin homepage I only read that they couldn't give any garanties, but that it should work using Virtual PC. Is there any possibility to run it directly in MAC OS X with software like Route 66?

What does make the parallel to USB adapters so expensive (about 100 ?), or am I just looking in the wrong stores??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MacGPS Pro might be what you are looking for: "MacGPS Pro is software for linking any GARMIN GPS Receiver to any Macintosh. It allows import of maps from a wide variety of sources. These maps can be used real-time as a moving-map display of your current position and velocity. They can also be used as a background to graphically create, display and edit Waypoints, Routes and Tracklogs for transfer to and from a Garmin GPS receiver."
  • Reply 2 of 6
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    I do this the round-about way. I have a PB running VPC and have MS Streets and Trips running on that. Then I have the Keyspan USB to serial adapter running from the PB to the serial intrface plug on the GPS unit. A bit convoluted, but works like a charm 100% of the time. Streets and Trips is just so easy to use without having to worry about importing maps and all that crap. And since all of my travels with PB are on pavement, it works fine.

After using this like this for the past few years, I think the next step is to find one of those bluetooth GPS receivers and ditch the Garmin completely. Just in case anyone was wondering.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    future-ex-pc-user: Also check out GPSy. Their site also has good info about USB-to-Serial adapters. I've heard that the Keyspan USB PDA Adapter works well with GPS receivers (I've only used mine with a Palm).

L'ermite: Ça fait un bon moment qu'on t'a plus vu par ici. Bienvenu de retour sur AI.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 6
    joecooljoecool Posts: 97member
    I had a client doing the exact same thing as yourself. PB 667 and Garmin GPS. We were looking at trying VPC but found that getting a USB to Serial cable (Palm USB Syncing cable works a treat) and using MacGPS Pro worked like a charm. And he's in the Australian Army.....so it's gotta work!!

• Reply 5 of 6
    L'ermite: Ça fait un bon moment qu'on t'a plus vu par ici. Bienvenu de retour sur AI.

Merci

Did you try to connect a GPS to your Palm?

I had a client doing the exact same thing as yourself. PB 667 and Garmin GPS. We were looking at trying VPC but found that getting a USB to Serial cable (Palm USB Syncing cable works a treat) and using MacGPS Pro worked like a charm. And he's in the Australian Army.....so it's gotta work!!

I just tried my Palm USB to serial adapter with the GPSy demo version (runs only in classic mode, I'm working on a new G4 with OS X 10.2.5) and a Garmin GPS 12, unfortunately GPSy couldn't connect to the Garmin (?). Did you use the USB/serial adaptor or was it one of the newer Palm USB syncing cables? I didn't try out MacGPS pro yet (there's no demo version...).

future-ex-pc-user: This forum seems to have a lot of Mac info. And don't forget to Google .
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Just wondering if anyone has gotten any GPS boxes to work with Route 66 US? I have it and it's great, but I would like to buy an affordable GPS box if it will "just work" with Route 66!