Tim Cook doesn't understand the value of bundled software.

Posted:
in macOS
There always used to be a frisson of excitement about the developer's conference when Steve Jobs and his team introduced new hardware, updated software and 'one more thing'.

Now it's all so manicured and sterile, with no audience interaction and always seems to be about updating MacOS with features most of us don't use and never seeing meaningful enhancements for the bundled software. Apple got rid of iLife and for some reason didn't like the names of iTunes and iPhoto, replacing them with the generic and less original Music and Photos, part of the campaign to ditch Job's legacy. iMovie hasn't even been mentioned in recent years in the televised events. The iPhone video editor CapCut (which is owned by a Chinese company Byte Dance) offers a simple interface for straightening video that's not level and a larger set of adjustment tools on the side, rather than the tiny ones in the menu bar in iMovie, which makes it easier to use and points to features iMovie should adopt, but of course iMovie offers the default OS video library and it's a pain to have to export to CapCut, straighten video and re-import back into iMovie. I want iMovie to be the best it can be!
I'm a YouTube creator and generally like iMovie because of it's simplicity and couldn't face the complexity (or cost) of Final Cut Pro, but Apple bundled software shouldn't stagnate like the Microsoft equivalent 'Moviemaker' did, in fact I've just had a look at their bundled video editor 'Clipchamp' and it has evolved to where it is better than iMovie and that should never be the case!