Intel vs AMD...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With the release of Canterwood 800 MHz FSB boards, people are pushing their 533 MHz FSB P4s to the limit on the new boards...

Here's a 1.1 GHz overclock of an Intel Pentium 4 2.4B to 3.5 GHz with nothing but a regular heatsink/fan combo...or pretty damning evidence that Intel is sitting on its ass waiting for AMD to catch up before announcing faster chips...

$150 for a 3.5 GHz CPU isn't bad at all...

My own 2.4B is a slightly older revision and I've only got it running at 2.88 GHz. It does pass Prime95's torture test indefinitely though. I don't have a Canterwood board though...still chugging along on my 845PE (Brookdale) based board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    yep, Intel originally said they would have 3.6Ghz HT parts ready by the end of the year and it looks like will. They can fab at will and it wouldn't surprise me to see them wring superior performance from their 32 bit chips to that of AMD's and even IBM's 64 bit solutions.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Intel would never release a .13 micron northwood at a 1.7V core voltage, too many reliability issues. Show me an overclock at stock voltage and I'll agree it shows some headroom. A single example of an extreme overclock can not be assumed to be representative of their entire product line capability.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eskimo

Intel would never release a .13 micron northwood at a 1.7V core voltage, too many reliability issues. Show me an overclock at stock voltage and I'll agree it shows some headroom. A single example of an extreme overclock can not be assumed to be representative of their entire product line capability.

Read the rest of the thread to see what he can do at stock voltage. And as for the SL6RZ 2.4B, most people have been getting ~3.2 GHz out of those already anyway.

I know I could go higher than 2.88 with my SL6EF if I bumped up the voltage. CPU-Z reports my core voltage at 1.488-1.504V.

We know you're attached to AMD, but...

EDIT: Here's my SL6EF at 3006 / 667 MHz with air cooling passing Prime95...and the core voltage is pretty close to default. I bumped it up just .05V.