2003 Firewire HD enclosures

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
.I did a search and see that there have been a couple of threads about 2.5" HD enclosures a while back but decided to start a new thread (especially since all the formatting of people's posts was all buggered up by the transition to vBB).

I now have a 2.5" HD that I plan to stick into a portable enclosure. I already own a firelite drive which has a nice power light and a nice disk access light, features I want in the enclosure that I purchase.

The coolest enclosure that I've seen so far (in person no less) is the PowerBoy enclosure. It has one little LCD light surrounded by a circle of LCD lights. Whenever it gets power the center light is illuminated in green. Whenever the drive is accessed the other LCDs light up in sequence, making it look like an orange light is circling the central power light. Pretty cool. That drive is available here. That one is about $30.

I see that Other World Computing has a nice silver looking drive enclosure for about $50, but I don't see that there are any power/drive access lights on it.

So what's the latest poop on 2.5" enclosures? Which is the best?

AND....where can you buy storage pouches for these things? I need one for my firelite drive now!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

AND....where can you buy storage pouches for these things? I need one for my firelite drive now!

My Firelite 60 came with a soft neoprene case with the smartdisk logo on it... or is this a relatively new addition?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I like the plain look of the Wiebetech stuff. I have a DesktopGB+ and it has a single green/orange activity light. I don't know whether the 2.5" enclosures have the blinking lights.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I bought my Firelite at the Atlanta Apple Store and it didn't come with a protective pouch.....wonder if I should inquire if they're supposed to come with....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I bought my Firelite at the Atlanta Apple Store and it didn't come with a protective pouch.....wonder if I should inquire if they're supposed to come with....

Mine also came with a transparent plastic clip so that you could piggy-nack 2 of them together. Do you think they want me to buy more?