iBook ... Ciao 12.1" ... Buon Giorno 13" ... ???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.irumors.net"; target="_blank">http://www.irumors.net</a>;

"The 12.1" iBook will be discontinued when the Paris Expo rolls around in less than a week, to make way for a new 13" model. The 12.1" iBook may possibly become an education only or "Special Edition" model, retailing for around $1099."

What do you all think ???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    I think irumors.net is currently the bottom of the barrel amongst all rumor sites.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Personally, I'm hoping for a 13" or so widescreen format, possibly 14". If Apple can smooth the curves a little bit and get rid of the space around the current 12", I think that most people would prefer it. I dont think it would get any taller, but it may get a cm wider. Same res as current 17" iMac.

I know I'd buy one...hmm is the TiBook's res lower than the iMacs? Damn...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    To me it makes more sense to kill off the 14" iBook, leaving a nice little laptop. The 14" is more powerful than the last G3 Powerbook, and must take sales from the Titanium PB.

But perhaps this is a clue that the Powerbook is about to move ahead again.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    [quote]Originally posted by joek:

<strong>I think irumors.net is currently the bottom of the barrel amongst all rumor sites.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Spymac got a promotion!? Yeesh.

Screed ...really, really hoping to replace his TangBook for a 12" iBook, especially if it'll be on the cheap!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Many people hate the 14.1" for the wasted space of its form factor; those people usually much prefer the 12.1. This is a plausible rumor though, one I wouldn't discount completely.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    doesn't another site also advocate the change to 13"

yes... irumors is quite "low" on the "chain"...but then again, the only super-accurate ones tend to be thinksecret.com and the "real" websites that publish Apple news.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I don't care what size any new iBook is....as long as it comes with video spanning.

Give us that and the size no longer becomes a major decision issue.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    first off, I have the 14inch.

Its GREAT for a more stable place or if you dont mind bigger laptops.

I havent been travelling with it much, but when I do, I SO would want a 12inch. 12inch is awesome.

14inch models do NOT eat at TiBook sales.

TiBook 'plusses': video spanning, DVI port, G4, 2 sodimm slots, frikken amazing 15.2 inch widescreen, and 32MB vram, bigger HDs...

they are two totally different beasts.

If anything Apple, make the next gen 14inch get to at least 1280x960 rez. or 1280x1024.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I like this rumor, in that I think it would be wise of Apple to up the size of their laptop displays. The iBooks look bad when compared to Wintel laptops at the same price because of their dinky screens.

And please...the 14" iBook doesn't eat into Powerbook sales, that's silly. I suppose with that logic Apple should introduce an 8" iBook because then more people would buy the Powerbooks? You people need to realize that not everyone can afford a Powerbook, and Apple still needs to get sales out of these people. The problem is that they may want a larger display than the 12" iBook, now they have the option of buying the 14" iBook and that's a good thing. Without the 14" iBook, a large portion of Mac users who want a nice laptop would be screwed, because the 12" is too small for them, and the Powerbook is too expensive for them.

Apple can't please everyone by making every imaginable hardware configuration, but they can please MOST Mac users by offering smart configurations. Offering a 12" iBook alongside a $2500 15.2" Powerbook isn't smart, all it does is give people reasons not to use a Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I LOVE my 12.1" iBook. Because it is small. The 12" screen is fine for what it is intended. If i am doing lots of Graphic design, I would use something else.

I Also think that the 14" iBook looks like a frankenstein monster. The keyboard looks so weird surrounded by all that plastic.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    If anything, I see Apple going the other way with the iBook: smaller. Mayhbe a 10.4 inches or something.

Go over to <a href="http://www.dynamism.com"; target="_blank">www.dynamism.com</a> and check out the real future of small portables.

Jet